Standard wiring diagram

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Standard wiring diagram

Post by naildriver »

Hey guys, My wiring is complete and the diagram recommended on this site was helpful but I did mine a little different. Maybe I didn't understand it completly but it looks as though you can turn the lights on without the key being turned to the "on". I wouldn't want some child turning my lights on and killing my battery. Maybe I just misunderstood it. I wish I knew how to pull up the diagram, but I don't.????

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

The original wiring was such that the key did not control the lights...
they could be turned on with key in either position.

A few times over the years I have bumped the light switch getting off the tractor and run the battery down.....after a time or two, I learned to turn around look to make sure they were off!
Mine is parked in a locked garage, so kids aren't the problem.

If I remember correctly, the key only switches the starter solenoid and the dash lights.
Jack

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Standard wiring diagram

Post by Bensdexta »

naildriver wrote:I wish I knew how to pull up the diagram, but I don't.????
Just download the workshop manual, Section 9 Electrical System from Stefan's fordson-dexta.de site. The wiring diag is towards the end of this section. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Re: Standard wiring diagram

Post by Jos Cuypers »

The lights should operate aside from the "ignition" key.
To avoid the battery from going flat, it is better to install a battery key.
Last edited by Jos Cuypers on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

naildriver
True Blue

???

Post by naildriver »

I wired my lights "behind" my key and not "in front" of my key like the wiring diagram passed around on this site. Are you saying that I need to change it?

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Re: ???

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Legally, the parking lights should be able to be turned on when the ignition key is not on the tractor, for parking her on the road during the night.... (as if we would do this. :eyes: )

The diagram as on the site of Stefan (www.fordson-dexta.de) is correct. Presume that is the one you mention.
Rgds
Jos

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Jos Cuypers wrote:Legally, the parking lights should be able to be turned on when the ignition key is not on the tractor, for parking her on the road during the night.... (as if we would do this. :eyes: )

The diagram as on the site of Stefan (www.fordson-dexta.de) is correct. Presume that is the one you mention.
Yes, that is the diagram I was refering to. So other than legally, do you see any problems with the way I did it concerning battery drain issues?My boat battery has similar issues, Don't want to deal with it on my tractor too.

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

What about the control box, because this is sometimes the cause for batteries to drain down. ? Is this disconnected when the key is Off ?

I have installed the battery key (between + and chassis) so the wiring is as original and with that key OFF, the battery is certainly disconnected..
Rgds
Jos

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The ignition side of the switch was not designed for the current loads drawn by the headlights so eventually there may be issues here.

The way to do it would be similar to modern car systems, power the head lights through a relay that, itself is controled by the ignition switch.

Switch on .. relay activated .. lights can be used.
Swich off .. relay deactivated .. head lights turned off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jos Cuypers wrote:I have installed the battery key (between + and chassis) so the wiring is as original and with that key OFF, the battery is certainly disconnected..
Jos,
Where did you install the battery key?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

naildriver
True Blue

new plan

Post by naildriver »

Brian wrote:The ignition side of the switch was not designed for the current loads drawn by the headlights so eventually there may be issues here.

The way to do it would be similar to modern car systems, power the head lights through a relay that, itself is controled by the ignition switch.

Switch on .. relay activated .. lights can be used.
Swich off .. relay deactivated .. head lights turned off.
This is what I will do. I had given this idea some thought because the wiring as bad as it was before I started showed that the insulation had melted off the wire going to the keyed switch. To much power being pulled through the "key" so this will solve that. Thanks Brian

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Location : Just under the dieselfilter against the engine - transmission flange
Wiring : between battery and chassis
Bensdexta wrote:Jos,
Where did you install the battery key?
Rgds
Jos