Petrol Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Heres the numbers of the petrol dexta purchased this week.

Frame 957E 73663
Engine FPL 468E
Gearbox A12F
Bell housing K16D
RH trumpet A18F
LH trumpet A16F

Looks like a 1961 build with an early number engine. I see the others on the register have a 959E prefix on the frame, however the 7 is clear on this one.

I will put some pictures up in my previous post when I get time.

Peter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have a petrol engine in a Diesel body then. There are a number out there that have been changed. 959E is the correct designation of a petrol.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Can you clear up some confusion please Brian? The number is stamped on the bellhousing. This tractor has a bellhousing with a long bulge for the starter compared to my diesel Dexta, and I thought this long bulge was for petrol tractors only?? Sorry but the petrol tractor photo is not so good.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The bell housing was changed on all Dextas in August 1960 to accommodate the longer bendix of the petrol tractor which was introduced in November. It is possible that the original bell housing failed and a second hand one has been fitted.

Your engine and all casting codes except for the bell housing, fit in to the early batch of tractors which were built in December 1960/February 1961 but the bell housing casting code is August 1960. This again is possible and the number does fit into the sequence but it should be a 959E. It is also possible that someone at Fords (or Turners) picked up the wrong stamp.

I will move this post shortly into the main Dexta forum and also update the list. We have a few more to add to it. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian