Hood Pinted!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ddoan
True Blue

Hood Pinted!

Post by ddoan »

I've been working on four tractors at once over the past several months: a Ford 8N, 9n, Funk, and my Dexta. It helps to have a lot in the pipeline, I guess. Here is a shot of my '59 Dexta's front end - about 15 months ago:

This is what it looks like, now:

In a week or so, I plan on disassembling my dry-fitted engine and reassembling for the final time, with all new gaskets and seals.

Here is the dry-fitted motor:

My question is, should I be using gasket sealant when I put the gaskets in place? It seems to me that all of the gaskets were really cemented in when I tore the engine down. Are diesel motors in need of adhesion when they are reassembled? I'm much more familiar with gasoline motors, so I want to make sure I get the Dexta's diesel engine put together correctly.

You are all welcome to follow my tractor (and other) restoration ventures: http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstuff

Don

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just a little oil on the head gasket if its a copper one. Some aluminium paint and fit the combustion chamber covers and gaskets whist it is still damp will help those to seal.

All the rest, a little sealer/gasket compound will do no harm but not instant gasket on the gaskets.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian