New Agriline Head - Some Feedback

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
russelm
True Blue

New Agriline Head - Some Feedback

Post by russelm »

Ok, thought it might be useful to feedback my findings on the Agriline head I bought to replace my original cracked item.

All in the quality is acceptable and the price excellent but, I did find a few minor issues which I thought it would be worth listing

1) The threaded holes were not great, it was clear that the tap used had seen better days, easily sorted by running some good taps through.

2) A small repair on one corner, clearly a casting fault and repaired well, no real issue at all and pretty standard for an iron casting.

3) No studs, which is a bit of a pain, its easy enough to get the correct 3/8 UNF items (although the short ones for one of the brackets are a little harder to get) but the 5/16 UNF ones are a little harder to source at the correct length.

4) Some areas of the casting needed filing down, particularly where the oil drain back holes are, the area around the holes were significantly raised above the main head area. Easily sorted with a rotary rasp and a dremel

So all in, given the price, very good with only a few minor niggles.

I do wish they had listed the fact that there were no studs as the photo on thier site is a little miss leading.

It gets my thumbs up though :clap:

So, anybody know a good supplier of UNF studs!

nikk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nikk »

Hi we have boxes of studs at work let me know size and length i wil look through for you :D cant guarentee wil have them but there is a good chance :D
Big lad @ todds

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: New Agriline Head - Some Feedback

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:So all in, given the price, very good with only a few minor niggles.

I do wish they had listed the fact that there were no studs as the photo on thier site is a little miss leading.

I hope it performs well in service :wink:
Suggest you forward this to Olly at Agriline for information.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I hope so to, as with all the bits I get they get thorughly checked (even new parts) before fitting. The head has passed a leak test so thats a good sign.

With a bit of luck and if I have a spare hour then I will pull the bottom end and check + measure the crank and bores (initial inspection looks good) then order the re-build kit (I need at least one piston + rings, gaskets etc so its cheaper to buy the kit!)

Hopefuly the injectors should be back today or tomorrow plus some paint so I cna start painting the ancillaries.

I have the starter and dynamo in bits ready to re-assemble to!
Last edited by russelm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

nikk wrote:Hi we have boxes of studs at work let me know size and length i wil look through for you :D cant guarentee wil have them but there is a good chance :D
Thanks

I would appreciate that as I have checked the bolt store at the heritage centre (which is HUGE) and we have every size of Whitworth bolt, nut, stud and even some metric but, no UNF!

The full list for the head is:

3/8 UNF (24) - 3/8 UNF (24) x 1 1/8 - 2 off (these are hard to find being short and are for one of the brackets)

5/16 UNF (24) - 5/16 UNF (24) x 1 1/4 - 6 off (For the inlet manifold)

5/16 UNF (24) - 5/16 UNF (24) x 1 5/16 - 4 off (For the exhaust manifold)

3/8 UNF (24) - 3/8 UNF (24) x 1 7/16 - 9 off (for the combustion chamber caps)

The ones for the combustion chamber caps are available from Agrliline so no real issues there but the 5/16 items are a little harder to get with the short 3/8 being a nightmare.

If you have no joy then no problem, I will just spend a morning on the laith making some up.

And if anybody has a good contact or link for a supplier of fasteners (including Imperial) then any info would be appreciated.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:And if anybody has a good contact or link for a supplier of fasteners (including Imperial) then any info would be appreciated.
I get most of my bolts from AHC in Camberley, who have quite alot of UNC etc. They have a website: http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk/catalog/index.php
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I ordered a Head from Agriline and this is how it arrived!
Thanks for your observations, I'll bear them in mind when I get to working on the head.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Thanks Jerry, thats very useful, yours has a lot more on it than mine (studs and end plate fitted to yours) so I will get in touch with them (I mailed them today with feedback).

I note looking at yours that your left oil drain hole (in the picture) also has the casting 'weir' but the right side does not look to bad.

I note that you are also short of the two shorter 3/8 studs for the bracket.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Here are a few pics of mine

The head:

The two corrected drains

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Russelm,

You wanted a supplier for imperial bolts and studs.
http://www.cbhfasteners.co.uk/
They have a good stock, metric and imperial, including UNC.
When I got the auxiliary hydraulic valve, for the Major, I needed UNC bolts that were 3" long instead of 1 1/2".
Straight off the shelf, standard or high tensile.
They also ship.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

russelm
True Blue

Re: New Agriline Head - Some Feedback

Post by russelm »

Bensdexta wrote:
russelm wrote:So all in, given the price, very good with only a few minor niggles.

I hope it performs well in service :wink:
Suggest you forward this to Olly at Agriline for information.
Spoke to Agriline this morning and walked through the issues, I also forwarded them pictures of mine and Jerry's head for comparison.