Overheating Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jerry
Not Quite Blue Yet

Overheating Dexta

Post by jerry »

Hello out there.

Thanks for letting me join your group.I live about 25 miles N. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. in the town of Slinger. Have been reading forum for over a year it's great. Bought my super dexta in aug. of 1993 its in fair shape but the engine is weak . Ser. # 09C733145 build date Jan. 1963 if I read the code right. Hard to start will start in warm weather if I use the preheater and primer.Ether only start in colder weather. Overheats when lugging,also get a pop,pop until the engine warms up it sounds like cross fireing or a valve is sticking. I think the head gasket may be breached some where no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.Was thinking of doing a valve job on it, but would the bottom half be strong enough to take a valve job
Thanks for any advice Jerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board Jerry, but I am afraid you are going to get bad news.

These engines are 50 years old and for most of that time they have started relatively easily in all weathers, if the primer and manifold heater has been used correctly.

Ether kills these engines dead. You have probably got broken pistons from what you are saying, as well as a blown gasket.

I think you should plan for new pistons, liners, crank regrind and bearings.

Sorry. :(
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jerry
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jerry »

Brian
Thanks for the reply not what I wanted to hear :cry: the truth hurts. I may pull the head and take a look see what the cyl. walls look like then make the call on what the next move is.

Thanks much Jerry