Paint for 58' Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
J. R. Astorga
Not Quite Blue Yet

Paint for 58' Dexta

Post by J. R. Astorga »

Live in Colorado. Need to find a sources for paint and also the paint code or number for the 'blue' hood etc. Appreciate any help. If you have any information on the paint used on the drivetrain would also be helpful.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

The only blue on a 58 Dexta is 'Empire Blue'.

Wheels should be orange.

New Holland supply the correct paints here in Europe, see http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... light=blue

However I'm not sure on avaiability your side of pond. Suggest a search on this website for clues. Or contact your stateside colleagues.

All the best, :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I thought the grills were more often than not silver....

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:I thought the grills were more often than not silver....
Thanks for the prompt. Not wishing to restart the grills debate, I've edited my post above and refer readers to the following authoritive article :)
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... rills.html

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Bensdexta wrote:
russelm wrote:I thought the grills were more often than not silver....
Thanks for the prompt. Not wishing to restart the grills debate, I've edited my post above and refer readers to the following authoritive article :)
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... rills.html
:thumbs:

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: Paint for 58' Dexta

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

J. R. Astorga wrote:Live in Colorado. Need to find a sources for paint and also the paint code or number for the 'blue' hood etc. Appreciate any help. If you have any information on the paint used on the drivetrain would also be helpful.

The colour you need is Fordson Empire Blue.
You could try this.http://www.tractorpartsinc.com
Just copy and paste[/url]

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Bensdexta wrote:The only blue on a 58 Dexta is 'Empire Blue'.

Wheels should be orange.
Ben, when the Dexta's were imported over here 99% of the wheels and wings or fenders is what we call them where Grey.
I painted my grills Grey as well, I use my tractor all the time, I don't pet on it, so I really don't care about all the imperfections. I restored her and put her back to work for another 50 years. Let's see I'll be 105 years old then, yeah I'll still be plowing the fields then, I hope. LOL My Blue mule is a great worker!
:lol:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Ben, when the Dexta's were imported over here 99% of the wheels and wings or fenders is what we call them where Grey.
I painted my grills Grey as well, ..
Perhaps the subject of another interesting debate.... :wink:

ddoan
True Blue

Dexta Hood Paint

Post by ddoan »

JR,

Here is a photo of my completed hood assembly for my '59 Dexta:

"Empire Blue" paint is available from most Tisco dealers - since it is a Tisco product. I purchased my paint from www.n-complete.com, in Indiana for about $17/quart. I also purchased hardener from them.

In mixing the paint, I put together 7 parts paint, 3 parts lacquer thinner, and 1 part hardener. You may add more lacquer thinner and it won't hurt.

You can see my hood restoration at: http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstuff, just go to the Dexta Restoration Part II photo album.

Good luck with your project.

Don

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Don,
Are you sure your wheels & grills were originally orange?
I love your work, your engineering is first class & the pics great for reference :)

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Hi Ben,

The wheels and grille on my tractor were, without a doubt, originally orange. This particular tractor was never cleaned, painted or restored. As you may remember from some of my "before" photos, it was badly rusted. However, there were a few areas (backside of wheels and grille) where some of the original paint survived.

I am the second owner. The previous owner purchased the tractor, new, in Visalia, California. So, it came to the U. S. with blue and orange colors.

Thanks for the kudos. I am making progress, though painfully slow. I got my gasket kit and have torn down the motor after dry-fitting everything. Originally, I wasn't going to remove the crank and pistons, but have decided to do so, now. You can't replace all the the seals without tearing it completely down.

As I rebuild the engine, with all new gaskets and seals, I'll be photographing the process, step-by-step, and create another album. If anyone is in need of some particular motor photos, now is the time! It's all apart.

Don