Fordson Dexta Hydraulics Delay

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
smugdruggler
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Dexta Hydraulics Delay

Post by smugdruggler »

I have the above tractor which seems to have very slow hydraulics immediately after being started.

So start the tractor, engage pto (Driving mower attachment) move hydraulics quadrant to raise the 3 point linkage, about 20 - 30 seconds later the linkage rises and lifts the mower off the ground.

If the mower is then lowered to the ground and then raised the action is immediate.

Oil levels are correct.

I have searched the forum and could not see a similar post so I apologise if this has been answered before.

This is my first post on a most excellent forum, I am a Fordson newbie so please be kind :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board.

The first question is what grade of oil have you in the rear axle?

Are you sure you are checking the rear axle oil? A Dexta has two seperate compartments, one for gearbox and one for the rear axle. The axle level plug is a square headed plug near the PTO lever.

It could be that the intake filter has become blocked over the years. If so you will have to take the lift off to get to it.

The filter is the rounded metal one, not the one on the pipe to the right of the pinion drive shaft. It is a washable one.

You do not mention any other lift problems like lift over correcting or dropping and, once it lifts after the delay, it works OK. This sounds like oil or filter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian