Misfit Quadrant/Control Lever

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ddoan
True Blue

Misfit Quadrant/Control Lever

Post by ddoan »

This has become a real head-scratcher, for me. In all of the stuff I've done in restoring my '59 Dexta, this would seem pretty simple, but it isn't. The hydraulic control lever will not slide all the way to the top of the quadrant. It strikes the upper quadrant support, and won't go past it. Here's a photo of the lift cover, upside down, with the control lever in the down position:

The lever is situated where it is supposed to be in this first photo. However, when I raise the lever, note where it hits:

It does not appear that anything is bent. And, that support bar is really stout - not easily twisted.

If anyone has a good photo of a proper quadrant and control lever, I'd like to see it - to see how mine differs. As it happens, the quadrant was rotated backwards when I got the tractor, and I know that wasn't right.

Also, for those of you who are viewing my photo journal, here is the latest link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstu ... toration02#

Google is now allowing 1,000 photos per album, so I was able to merge my Part I and Part II journals into one. If you go all the way to the latest photos, you will see that I've got some shots of my lift cover rebuild, as well as my engine. I got the rod and main bearings installed

At some point I'll reorganize the whole album and do some commentary. For now, it's a lot just to do the work and get the photos.

Enjoy,

Don

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Don,
Wonderful set of photos!

I took a look at our Super Dexta but it has the later and a bit different lever and quadrant.

On yours, is it possible that the quadrant (arc) was rewelded to the upper support at some time and the was positioned out a bit further from the centre disc than original?
Would the lever knob now be a different distance from the quadrant while in the upper versus the lower postion?

Cheers,
Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The quadrant is bent or as Les said, has been welded slightly out of line. The short piece at the bottom of the picture is out of line and this pulls the outer guide in tight.

Looks like it has had a new lever fitted too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Misfit qudrant control

Post by llanfair »

Hi ddoan
Good pics, I think you have the wrong quadrant lever fitted, the original lever and disc plate are one piece and quite a different shape. (the one you show maybe for a ferguson T20etc ) This part does not ware ,so a scrap tractor may be an option.

Regards LLanfair.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Here's a pic of my Nov 61 quadrant (now painted!)
Note mine has flow control hydraulics see adjuster behind gear sticks and link to rear of quadrant, which earlier Dextas didn't have.
All the best :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

I'm inclined to think that I may have the wrong quadrant (or at least control lever) for my tractor. I went back into my photo archives and found these two "before" shots:

Note how the quadrant was positioned 90 degrees backward. Also, note that the tractor came with a DAR, with a fairly long lever. Could it be that the original hydraulics were disabled? And, that the DAR was the only hydraulic system that was functional?

I have to admit to my ignorance when it comes to hydraulic systems. My hope is to have both the DAR and the original hydraulic controls functional. I did not get the original hydraulic adaptor plate with this tractor, for what that is worth.

Are there any good sources if I need to replace any of the parts?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Don,
There have always been discussions on DAR valves on the Super Major and Dexta. The ones for the later '0000-nd series and the earlier US tractors do not have the same porting as the British tractor. This virtually blanks off the Hydraulic linkage and divirts all the oil away from the ram cylider.

I believe when this has been discussed before, some one mentioned an adapter plate to allow the US valves to fit and allow the hydraqulics to work.

Porting for Dexta valve and 000nd series. Dexta valve is on the right.

Dexta and Super Major DAR valve
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian