weight of Dexta long block

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brownsmule
True Blue

weight of Dexta long block

Post by brownsmule »

Hello; considering purchase of a used Dexta engine (long block) that will require shipment by common carrier. What would be the weight of this so that I may estimate shipping cost. Thanks brownsmule in NC

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Two quotes from the old website. Take your pick :wink:

Oscar:
"I would not advise moving a complete Dexta engine in the rear of a stationwagon-like car like the Fabia. That engine weighs appr. 300 kilograms. If you happen to get involved in a collision, then that thing will come forward like a sledgehammer."
Jos Cuypers:
"Last year I bought an engine :
- block + waterpump
- head
- injection pump
- flywheel
- clutch (not the housing)

and tranported it in the back by my Opel Zafira with no problem (only unloading was difficult as the engine was put in by a crane because 2 people were not strong enough to lift it)
The weight must have been 350...400kg
Nicely strapped, and carefull driving."
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

brownsmule
True Blue

Dexta Engine Weight

Post by brownsmule »

Thanks for the info. Now to google a conversion table to convert to pounds. Went to the Old Time Thresher's Farm Park today and saw three (3) of the most beautiful restored Dexta's. Two Standard and one Super. Also there was one Major in original condition from years of use. I've just got to learn how to post pictures. For those on this side of the pond; Happy 4th and everyone else, a great week end.
Thanks............. brownsmule in NC USA

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

This is something I suspect I will discover on Saturday when I remove mine.

Mine currently has no head or dynamo fitted and although the block does not look overly heavy, the sump casting does!