Dexta liners

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
russelm
True Blue

Dexta liners

Post by russelm »

A few quick questions.

I will be 'extracting' the block from my Dexta on Saturday and following a strip down it will have new liners fittted and bored to size.

Question is, is it worth while extracting the old liners myself so I can get a good view of the block internals and if so, what is the best method for this (extract using threaded bar plus suitable drifts etc or hydraulic press).

Are they stubborn buggers to shift?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The word you are looking for is "impossible"!

I have been told that a bead of weld in the liner will allow them to be drawn out easily but I am always worried I would burn through the thin liner and weld it to the block. :shock:

If you are having new liners fitted and bored, let your machine shop remove the old ones.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Thanks Brian

I will get them to do the work then.

I fancied getting them out myself and cleaning the block internals a bit first if they could be done with a press etc.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Russel,

Brian is right let the machine shop do the work and get them to hot tank it to get the rust out of the block while they have it if you can. Please do make sure that no white metal bearing such as cam shaft bearings will be damaged by the cleaning process though.

Getting the liners out would have been a dissapointment for you as all you would have seen is another metal cylinder. The dexta has dry liners so you do not get to see the water jacket when they are out.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.