injection pump seal replacement questions

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

injection pump seal replacement questions

Post by terry274 »

The fuel injection pump seal on my Super Dexta is leaking badly. I have the pump off the tractor but I want to be sure I know how to get the pump in time with the engine before I proceed to remove the gear. The timing instructions in the manual from Stefans site are for a pneumatic governor pump. Will the procedure be the same for a mechanical governor pump?
If I remove the nut from the cam shaft, will the gear slide off, or do I have to take the three bolts out? The three bolts seem to be for the timing adjustment, is this correct?
And finally, the part number for the seal is E1ADDN993207 and has been replaced by 81714566. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?
Any tips on the job are appreciated!
Thanks, Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

This is a follow up for anyone who needs to replace the pump seals in the future. The seal I used on the pump cam shaft is from National Seal and is part #471554V. The dimensions of this seal are: 3/4x1-3/8x1/4. In the U.S the part can be ordered by O'Reilly's Auto Parts. The seals that were really leaking on my pump were the seals on the shaft connected to the throttle lever. They should have been replaced with an O-ring part number AS568 -012, which is a flat type O-ring. However I could not find these locally and so I used regular O-rings with an ID of 3/8 and an OD of 1/2 inch. These seem to have stopped the leak. Tomorrow I plan on installing the pump on the tractor and will have to get it back in time with the crank.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Terry,
Great to know!
Did the gear slide off by only undoing the camshaft bolt?
Thanks for the post,
Les

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Yes the gear came off once I removed the 3/4'' nut. I did have to use a gear puller on it and I was afraid the gear might be damaged by the puller. But it did not take much pulling to get it to come off and the gear was not damaged. There is a woodruff key in the shaft that must also be removed. It was hard to get out, I bought a new one to go back in. I think the size was 5/8'' by 5/32''.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta