fuel leak off

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

fuel leak off

Post by john.n »

i have been suffering from a fuel leak for a while now and finaly found the source. there i quite alot of fuel coming out from the leak off pipe at the base of the pump. some helpful person has cut this off in the past wll replacing this help cure the leak?

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

From memory they are supposed to be like that....although with a 360 bend in it to act as a dirt trap.

Quite a bit coming out is a worry....the ones I have seen only dribble slightly at best

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

by quite alot i mean a few ml in 10mins not a stream of fuel. i had a small tub under the leak yesterday. i know the leak off has something to do with lubrication of the pump but it seems like quite alot, just wondering if it will cause any running issues down the line or if there is a quick fix.

many thanks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You will have a fault in the lift pump which leaks diesel into the injection pump.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is the fuel leaking into the cam box from the lift pump then? seems odd, i replaced the old one a few months back.

many thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is the most likely place for a large diesel leak. The pumping plungers allow a small leak for lubrication and if they were leaking badly, I would expect other engine running problems..

Some flow from your pipe is normal.

Did you drain diesel out of the cam box when you fitted the new lift pump?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i didnt drain the cam box when the lift pump was changed did put a small touch of grease on the cam follower though. the whole injection pump has been removed to repair a cracked block after i changed the lift pump.

many thanks