New Engine

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

It's not looking to good, any water I put in the radiator ends up in the sump. As you know I'm not an engineer not even close, I just love my rescued Dexta. I have another man coming tomorrow (thursday) so I should know then what is required. No matter what it will be done, in fact I can take this as an opportunity to fix a few oily leaks etc.

Thanks for asking, I will keep you all updated, in the meantime you are more than welcome to speculate as to what I am in line to discover.

Regards

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Heres my oil adapter pic
regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Jerry, I like your setup. I have a spare oil gage in my garage...I think I know where it is going!
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Jerry Coles wrote:Heres my oil adapter pic
regards
Jerry
Jerry, can you tell me where you got the T piece. ?.

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Well the man came today and the news is good, it's the cylinder head gasket that has blown in a couple of places. I was so relieved. We hope to fit the new one tomorrow, reassemble and fire her up again.

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Well looking at that gasket it certainly explains the water leaking from the front of the engine and going into the sump.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Cor, thats a good one.

Easy enough to replace on old pushrod engines thankfuly, bit more of a challenge on modern quad cam V engines though :(
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I should add that I like the gauge Idea, out of interest what range is it?

Thankfuly the Dexta setup is about 40psi with a pressure relief valve. We fitted one to a friends vintage motorbike and on a cold morning, the oil pressure was so high it blew oil in his face as the internals burst (no pressure relief valve, thick oil and a good engine can equal 100's of psi when cold!)
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I got it a while ago, its a 3 way 1/4 female with a double male adapter to connect it to the block.
Most trade gas or plumbers merchants should be able to source it.
Jerry
Camerton
Bath
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just my opinion.

I would not be happy just putting a head gasket on your engine without removing and checking piston, rods and crank. There is a high probability that she stopped with a hydraulic lock on one or more cylinders or the un-atomised diesel that she was running on may have caused one.

Either way you may have broken rings, bent con. rods and /or a bent crank.

I have a friend with an engine which over-sped through a leaking return pipe, in pieces at the moment and he has all these problems.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Thanks Brian,

I will bring this to the attention of the engineer. I was lucky to find him, I asked if he had done many Dextas and he said he had been servicing and repairing them since they were launched. With that kind of experience if there are any more faults I'm sure (hope) he'll find them.

Regards