Radius arms

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Radius arms

Post by gcamp »

Well, I am back to my bent radius arms. A while back I asked if anyone had ever straightened theirs, but didn't have any pictures on a host site.
I have setup an album on Photobucket.
Should I straighten those arms or leave them as is and call it character? :?

http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y35 ... ?start=all

This forum is one of my best tools.
Thanks,

Gene
1961 Dexta

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Hi

Interesting Pictures. I think if it is possible to straighten them that is what I would do.

Good luck

Eugene

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

You are doing such a great job restoring the tractor I think it would be a shame to leave that much "character" in the radius arms. It would really stand out.

I'm sure they could be sorted but I think you will need a decent size press to get a nice even finish. I'm sure somebody reading will have done a set already and can give good advice.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gene

Firstly I must compliment you on your spotlessly clean work shop, I would be prepared to undergo a heart operation in it.

My radius arms were very similar to those of yours. I took mine to an engineering works who had a press and they pressed them straight bit by bit. It would be useful to have some idea how straight they should be, mine are virtually dead straight. They also straightened my steering rods for me.

Good luck
Mervyn

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I had to starighten one of my radius arms.

Not to hard, I used a small 10 ton press and a couple of off cuts of railway line (although anything suitable would do).

It did not actualy require a great deal of pressure to do to be honest and worked very well (well its straight now anyway!)
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Get 'em straight :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gcamp »

Thanks guys.
Honestly, I have been really nervous about trying to straighten them for fear I would kink or crack them. Sounds like I should give it a try.
I'll have to get with my friend with a press. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gene
1961 Dexta

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

I have straightened a couple out in a press. I used a length of 'angle' iron to cradle/support them. Put something between the ram and the radius arm also, or you'll likely punch a hole in it.
Jack