broken diff lock

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dexta09b
Not Quite Blue Yet

broken diff lock

Post by dexta09b »

hi all i am new to this forum congrats to all on a great website . I own my dexta since 1987 she an early 62 model 09b700654. The diff lock never worked for me as the operating lever lay about 30 degrees below horizontal and could not be connected to the foot pedal. Last week as part of my restoration i removed the thrumpet housing and found my sliding coupling in six pieces, the spring broken, and one side of the operating fork about an inch behind the other , lucky enough all the pieces stayed at the bottom of the thrumpet housing. Just thought i,d share this with you ,by the way i think i am right with the date of my dexta if anyone could confirm this i would be grateful.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Serail nos

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta09b wrote:hi all i am new to this forum congrats to all on a great website . I own my dexta since 1987 she an early 62 model 09b700654. ... ,by the way i think i am right with the date of my dexta if anyone could confirm this i would be grateful.
That appears to be correct. Can you read your casting codes and publish them on Brian's Dexta Register 'sticky' on this sub forum? For info on how to read your casting codes, see the 'general' pages of this website (not the forum)
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Welcome to the board dexta09b, you have your date correct, ithink the spring can be got from agriline but i am not sure about the other parts someone on the board will have more idea as there is boys on here with a wealth of knowlege on all things fordson , keep us updated on progress with diff lock and pictures are always great to see if at all possible. Gerry

dexta09b
Not Quite Blue Yet

broken diff lock

Post by dexta09b »

Thanks Ben and Gerry for your quick replies, i managed to get a diff lock from a super dexta at my local breakers, I fitted it today,it was an easy enough job,sorry i cant manage the photos yet .
How it fits is the fixed coupling goes on first then the big spring then the sliding coupling then a big washer and then a circlip to hold it all in place. There is a good drawing of this on the parts list.

regards ollie