arms correcting themselves

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

arms correcting themselves

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked before on here, but I have searched and cannot find it. My arms are correcting themselves constantly and they drop very quickly when the tractor is switched off.
This is a new problem as they did not do this before, I followed the instructions given here about 6 months ago and reset the hydraulic settings with the top cover off and everything worked perfectly up to a week or so ago.

What is the cause of this problem and do i need to take the top cover off again to rectify it, please say not as she is all painted up about a 3 weeks now.

Thanks for the help,
Niall
I don’t know what I am doing!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Lift the arms to the top, stop the engine and pull out the auxillary service knob.

What happens? Does the lift drop or does it stay up?

If it drops, problem is piston seal, ram cylinder safety valve, ram cylinder "O" rings.

If it continues to drop, the problem is control valve, unload valve, check valve.

Bent linkage/linkage adjustment is covered in an article on the Wiki. (fordsontractorpages and dotty are the codes you need to access).

These are the points you need to start with. You could have "O" ring failure under the auxilary service chest or a piston seal blown.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Thanks Brian,

The arms still drop when the aux value is pulled out, I replaced the pistion seal and the o-rings when i was resetting the the hydraulic settings earlier this year. wonder if one of these has failed.

I did not look at the control, unload or check values, these are positioned under the top cover and to the front of the top cover facing the gear sticks is that correct?

Do i replace these or re condition them, which is better?

Thanks again,
Niall
I don’t know what I am doing!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If its dropping with the knob out it will be either the piston seal or an "O" ring, I would not worry about anything else. Try taking the aux.valve off first, there are a couple under there that can give that problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian