Leaking between differential housing and Rear axie housing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
JAV9411
Not Quite Blue Yet

Leaking between differential housing and Rear axie housing

Post by JAV9411 »

My Dexta is leaking oil between differential housing and Rear axie housing on the underside!!!! Kan I fix this problem without dismantling one site of the rear axle???????

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You will have to split the axle trumpet housing away from the dif. housing and replace the gasket.

If you have some form of lifting equipment or some very strong friends, you will not have to strip anything out.

I have done this many times with a loader, or my little crane but the last time two of us lifted it off and on.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Brian, I have a similar problem. Did you actually slip the new gasket in or did you use "gasket maker" from a tube?

Mervyn

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I used "gasket in a tube" last time, Works great :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Brian, will try that when I get the strength to do it.

JAV9411
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JAV9411 »

gasket maker, do you use compleet around or only on the place where the leak is? I prefer new gastket, but gasket maker is a fast en cheap option!

JAV9411
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JAV9411 »

Where can I buy the gasket? What brand off gasket maker is the best and where can I buy it?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A new gasket would come from Case New Holland, Instant Gasket could be found at any motorist store, I have seen it in Halfords in Holland.

It needs to go all round the gasket surface in a thin film.
Brian

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

I'm about to do this myself, probably today. My only worry is that the workshop manual says that the diff. bearing pre-load is set by using a number of gaskets rather than just the one. Obviously by using "instant gasket" you cant achieve this. Should any of us worry? Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks all, wish my luck! :)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...