Position Control Adjustment Trouble

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Position Control Adjustment Trouble

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hello again everyone,

More silly questions.

I had a go at adjusting the hydraulics this evening. I think I have the qualitrol spot on, that was quite simple... But I can't adjust the position control rod far enough to get the 10mm gap at the control valve.

A couple of things spring to mind. Either the face between turnbuckle and control valve is worn, but surely this would have affected qualitrol adjustment...? Or, the surface between control rod and control valve operating lever is worn.

Or, I could be doing something very wrong!

I noticed an inconcistency with the Wiki instructions and the workshop manual... Should I have the hydraulic lift secured vertically or laying on its back?

If you can help me out I'll give it all another go tomorrow :)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I had trouble adjusting mine as well. Turned out there is a pin that follows a cam in the linkages that was worn half through. I used a drill shank of the right diameter to make a new pin. I don't recall much more than that so I'm sure someone can confirm is this is the right track for your problem.

I seem to recall there being some threads on this which gave the pin diameter and length.

In the picture the cam is in the lower right and the pin is the half round in the arm. It shows as a half round from this side because it had been turned around rather than replaced some time in the past.
Peter
Last edited by pjjms on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you got a worn position control pin or cam?

Does not matter how you have the lift as long as the arms are in the lowered position.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks,

can anyone direct me to a photo showing the pin and cam?

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Photo added to my reply above

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks for all the help guys. Found the pin and it had almost worn through. Had to drill it out Got it spot on through the middle and after a lot of swearing and a few bruised fingers I have it out.

I found the thread about a 5/16th drill bit so will find one tomorrow and give it a go. Any tips on getting it in, seeing as it was so hard getting the old one out!!!

I had a play and held the mechanism in roughly the right place as if the pin was intact and it looks like I'll easily be able to make all the adjustments :D

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

You may have a job getting a good fit on the new pin having had to drill the old one out. It will need to be a good tight tap in fit. I supported the back of the arm with a hammer and tapped it in from the other side. It may pay to get a reamer assuming the hole is too small, and then you may also need some retaining compound as well. If it's a bit loose try an 8mm drill which is 7/100th of a mm bigger than 5/16th.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

I doubt the whole is too big, I drilled the centre with 7mm and then tapped out what was left (like a tube). Will see how I get on later with the 5/16 drill bit.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Sorry, I had assumed you drilled it with a 5/16th drill. Sounds like you have done a good job getting the pin out. Lets know how you get on with the adjustment.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Got the new pin most of the way in, and jeez was it hard work! Made my adjustments and had to wind the turnbuckle most of the way back on to get the qualitrol right. Then tried the position control and I still had to wind the position control rod most of the way out to get close to the correct adjustment. The top is back on with new gasket between but poor light forced me to stop as I couldn't line up the gasket and bolts.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it done, topped up with new oil, and see an improvement! :?

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

When I replaced the pin on my Dexta I used a chain rivetting tool
- this one is for a combine and it works really well to both remove and replace the pin.

Andy

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Cracked it! Almost :(

All back together and all worked well, position control was positional! And a while later it all just stoped. I now have no lift at all. The arms hold presure and position but will not raise. Also cannot get any movement on any implement through auxilary control.

So, what have I done? What's happened?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

"O" rings under the Aux Service plate.

Pump failure.

Stuck unload valve.

Turnbuckle not split pinned up and so has dropped out.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks for your help Brian.

I didn't remove the turnbuckle so that should be ok.

I can hear the pump doing its thing if I try lifting the arms/aux-implement.

I think it must either be o-rings under the aux service plate or maybe the unload valve... I suppose I'll be taking the top of again :roll:

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

So, I got the chance to "nip up" the top cover bolts today and all is working again. Position control is positional, and I almost have full movement within the quadrant.

However, I now have a quiet rattle/vibration/grinding noise from the pump under load and arms are slow to lift...

Sounds like I need to investigate the pump but does anyone have any ideas what to look for?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You won.t really know until you get the pump out. It could be the drive gear is loose but if it still lifts it does not sound as if the pump is too bad.

It is not the sound of the Pressure Relief Valve blowing off is it? Have you overtightened the bolts which hold the lift arms on?

Do you know if the PRV has been stripped out?
Brian

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Brian, very helpful and reassuring again.

Not sure if the PRV has ever been touched. The lift arms drop on occasion with or without load, would that be the PRV blowing?

If I remove the pump and/or PRV, what materials will I need? Seals etc...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, the PRV will only affect the lifting.

As far as parts are concerned, you will not know until you have it apart. You could get a seal kit, then find something completly different.

Clanking/grinding noises sound more than a seal kit to me.
Brian