Removing the lift arms

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
woodseaves
True Blue

Removing the lift arms

Post by woodseaves »

I am trying to fit an automatic pickup hitch and part of the process is removing the lift arms and replacing them with the special ones needed to accomodate the hitch and other implement. On the face of it this should be a simple task, however , time has sealed the arms solid. Has anyone else carried out this task before? if so are there any tips to pass on?

Regards

I have just spotted the post from "Hiking Bear" on this very topic. What is a "Puller" and where might I get one?

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

I changed mine a while ago and they came off dead easy, maybe a good squirt with WD40 or drop of red diesel will do the trick. If these fail, HEAT! Good luck .

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Am I missing a trick here, is there anything else to remove after the end plate?

I have used nearly a full canister of WD40 in the last week. The heat is coming on Monday.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I don't think you are missing anything. They can be very hard to get off. Have a search back through the threads, there was another member who had all sorts of problems 3 or 4 months back. Heat will be the answer.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Stefan had to cut his off - painful. See www.fordson-dexta.de :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

i had this problem when trying to get aset off mine , they can come off easily or be right pain, mine were the latter. after using wd40 about 2cans ,heat ,beating with a sleage hammer and trying a puller i ending up cutting them off , if you have to do this hopefuly not , be careful not to cut the splines on the cross shaft , i used a 4inch grinder with the thin cutting blade .i cut nearly through and then split with a chisel, the ouside edge isnt to bad to cut but in near the cover shoulder can be trickey as the blade might also nick the cover .
Good luck GERRY

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

What was the inside like? had the both parts welded together? With the benefit of hindsight would you cut them again?

I have had to postpone the "Heat" treatment until next week, I'm hoping for a good result with it. (the heat i.e.)

Regards

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

i probley woud have to do the same again , but only as a last result best to try the heat an if you have axces to a good powerful puller this the way to go , even when mine were cut throught they still were very tight , thankfuly the liftcover and linkages were not damaged when i was was thumping at them i think this was more to do with luck ,
Gerry

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is it worth phoning a breakers yard and asking how they remove lift arms without damaging them? or do they wait till they get a pair that dont need to be cut off?