dexta locks up

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
steamfred
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta locks up

Post by steamfred »

hi all,
i had a problem a couple of weekends ago with my dexta, when the back wheels locked up and the engine stalled going down a bank. engine would not start while in gear, i put her into neutral and rolled forward, engine would start in neutral, but as soon as i put her into gear, she was tight, after gettin a tow back 5/6 miles, i just wondering how to get her back on the low loader, i slipped her into gear and of she went. felt a bit of "fool!
drained the gear box oil when i got home, cant find nothing at all out of place, since used the tractor for a day lugging fire wood and hasnt happened again. but iv just got this doubt in my mind that it will, as anyone ever had this problem before? or can throuw any light on the problem? many thanks

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Sounds as if the clutch may have problems. If so, you will need to split the tractor. Does it grind when you put it in gear?
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You did not say whether you were changing gear or not as you might have wear in the selectors/interlock area that allowed you to get two gears at once.

The problem sounds like gearbox as the engine does not "lock up" in neutral and will run OK, and the rear wheels are free for you to tow it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

steamfred
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by steamfred »

:) hi all,
i may of not described the problem accuratly enough, i was going down hill in 5th gear, and the tractors back wheels locked up and the engine stalled straight away, tryin to start with my foot on the clutch, she would not start.
when put in neutral and free wheeled to piece of flat ground, put her in forward gear and reverse gear and she still stalled the engine, so that when we decided on the tow, and after the tow, she as been used to drive up on the lorry as i said and to lug wood, i wasnt changing gear at the time, infact she was shafting in 5th on the down hill, i did think perhaps she tryed to select another gear but then when i put her into neuatral she free wheeled and i thought maybe if she tryed to select another gear she would stil be stuck in that. many thanks for your help :?:

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

I guess my brain locked up when I replied earlier. This does NOT sound like a clutch problem. Sorry for the previous bad advice.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I think Terry was pretty near, maybe not the clutch but the front end of the gearbox.

Engine stalls, won't turnover, rear wheels locked.
Take tractor out of gear, tractor can be towed.

So lockup is in the front of the gearbox/clutch.

Clutch down engine still won't turn but will tow.

After tow, engine will start in neutral but will not drive and locks up when gears selected.

Suddenly problem clears.

It sounds like a gearbox bearing failure with bits getting in between gears. There is no way the tractor can select two gears without the gear stick moving IMHO.

I would guess she is a live clutch and the problem occurred between the PTO gears and the main input shaft.

This is all guesswork, the Chrystal ball is clouded by rain at the moment. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian