Rotary tiller?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Rotary tiller?

Post by naildriver »

I was told by a friend that he had read on the web that he should not use a rotary tiller on his 8N because the gearing was not good enough. This made me courious about what you guys would say about using a tiller on my super dexta???

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are comparing apples and elephants :D

As long as you don't go too large, the Dexta is perfect on something like a Howard E50 Selectatilth or one of the smaller horticultural ones.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Since I don't have a rotary tiller, I was just courious, so in your opinion, what lenght is to big. Or does it have much to do with speed?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The E60, 60" is too big in my opinion. She will drive it but it is a big load. Even makes the Nuffy puff at times and she is nearly 60hp on the PTO.

We used to have a 60" horticultural rotovator with straighter tines, angled at about 40 degrees rather than the 90 degrees of the E60. That produced a good tilth but was far easier to drive.

Howard produced a sandwich box for the Fergy and I think, for the N range of Fords, which slowed them down considerably. I have seen a similar box on a Super Dexta.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

A rough estimate that I normally use is 10 horsepower per foot.So I normally use a 4ft Howard rotary hoe behind my Super Dexta or 3000.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900