Need Help to save weekend plans

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Need Help to save weekend plans

Post by naildriver »

1st day out with my newly restored Super Dexta. Gotta admit that I was proud of that thing when all the guys at hunting camp came out to look at it. I put her straight to work on our food plots which hadn't been broken since last fall. I was pulling a 7 tooth chisel plow and it was doing great. After about 3 hours and several food plots I got stuck as I was trying cross a ditch. The chisel buried deep because of the steep angle change and the tires being in the lowest spot where it was damp lost traction and I was stuck. After being pulled out I had no hydraulic lift anymore. It was working great untill I got stuck. Someone said it might have got air in the hydraulics because the pick-up was on the high side when it was so out of level. I don't know, what do you guys think. It was about a 22% angle

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Had to leave plow in the field. After 1 hour drive home I tried the lift with me standing on it. It rises slower than I think it shoud and I suspect that it would not lift an implement. Any ideas?

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

To me, sounds more like a blown seal/o-ring somewhere. If you'll look in the service manual, there is a section on how to help isolate problems / troubleshoot the hydraulics.

If you did get it at a steep enough angle
to suck air in the pump, it should recover when you got out of ditch.

Continuously sucking air in the pump will eventually damage it, but a short time shouldn't do much damage.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Another thing I should mention, at the top of the hydraulic pump housing on the side of the tractor, at the very top, opposite the pump pressure relief valve on the bottom. I have a leak, when I move the handle to the lift position, more oil comes out. But, when lift was working great, it did the same. Any help troubleshooting will be appreciated. I'm trying to gather info before I go back in. Didn't get to finish my ploughing, hopeing to have fix by the weekend

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have a pump pressure "O" ring blown between the pump and the housing.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

OK so I pulled the pump since that was the easiest to do in the process of elimination. Made new gasket, replaced O ring and had to pull the top off to reline the filter. Replaced the oil and it still does the same but no leak. It needed to be fixed anyway so it was not a waste of time. So what should I look for now?

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

It doesn't make sense how it was working so good and then not so good. It will lift 1 person but not 2. Could it be a pressure relief valve stuck half open?

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Yes, stuck off the seat, or the o-ring blown. It's easy enough to check, you can screw the assembly out without removing the pump. Place a pan or bucket to catch the oil you spill, and use a clean cloth to stop (most of) the oil running out while you examine it. Don't lose the shims, if present, when you take assembly apart, they are easy to overlook :oops:

Is the lift weak in both position control and draft control? If it works
ok in one mode, but not the other, internal linkage inspection & adjustment is in order.

If pressure unloader on the pump is ok, my next guess would be the seal on the lift cylinder.

If you can easily round up the gage, needle valve etc as shown in the service manual, a quick test can tell you if the pump pressure is good or not. You can still work through the problem without the test equipment, but may take a few extra steps.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Found my problem, stuck pump pressure relief valve. Boy is it stuck. I'm afraid that I'm going to scar it to much trying to unstick it. Then what if the spring shoots the parts in orbit when it comes loose. Any ideas?

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

naildriver wrote:Found my problem, stuck pump pressure relief valve. Boy is it stuck. I'm afraid that I'm going to scar it to much trying to unstick it. Then what if the spring shoots the parts in orbit when it comes loose. Any ideas?
Nope,that was not it.I didn't understand the design. I checked every O ring except the easy one's to get to. It was the two centermost orings on the top. When rebuilding, I did not have the correct size so I stopped at ORileys and all they had were green ones that looked inferior but I used them anyway. Just 2 of them, and those were the ones that blowed. Thanks guys for all your help. Big plans for this weekend.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

:clap: Well done.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian