dexta clutch release bearing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta clutch release bearing

Post by brobro »

I had to replace the clutch on my Fordson Dexta and discovered the throw-out bearing is bad too. I now discover that the bearing is not a press-on but is somehow made intergal with the yolk. they want over $300 bucks for a new one. The clutch was over $400. Is there a cheaper alternative to buying the whole new assembly? Thanks.
Fordson dexta owner for 25 years; do all the work myself.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

The throw out bearing is only a bearing, it slides out of the yoke once the spring is released. I would not expect to pay more than $20-$30 dollars for the bearing.
Releasing the spring is quite a challenge. Search for "dexta release bearing" at the web site below:
http://www.waltstractors.com
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brobro »

Terry 274, thanks for your reply. In this case I can assure you that the release bearing is not a press-on type. I have changed out many bearings in my lifetime and this is unlike any I have seen. The Ford tractor place had press-on release bearing for other models, but I have the double clutch, gear and PTO, and so these would not work. Indeed, the bearing inner race is intergal with the yolk itself. I may try to find a used one but I guess I will just resign myself to buying the new complete assembly. Thanks again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you seen the parts list downloadable from www.fordson-dexta.de :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi brobro,

Curious about the style of your throwout bearing and yoke.
Do you have a photo or part number from where you can order the assembly?
And is it a Ford part number?

Thanks,
Les

brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brobro »

Bensdexta and Lesfen,
Bensdexta, thanks very much for posting the parts list/drawing link; it was very helpful. Lesfen, according to the illustration on page 88(I think) the yolk/bearing assembly part number is 957E-7548-8.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

brobro,

Here is a link to an alternative solution used by another Dexta owner:

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi ... n&th=14694

We did something similar to fix our Versatile.

Hope it helps,

Les

brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brobro »

thanks very much Les,
I talked to a guy in Pa. today who has a Fordson like mine and he said he'd split it and take a look at the bearing assembly and sell it to me for $100 if serviceable. If that does not pan out then I will certainly pursue the method suggested in the post you linked to.

brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brobro »

One other thing Les
I can see cutting through the outer race and letting the balls fall out but is there not a concave channel on the inner side in which the ball bearings ride and would this not prevent pressing on another bearing? But, since the thing is junk as it is, I guess I can cut it up and see. Thanks again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Yes the part# is 957E7548B HUB Hub & Bearing Assy., Years: 01/01/1957-12/31/1964

See online parts list
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php

Just enter dexta or the part#. Seems strange engineering to have a non-removable bearing. Perhaps Brian can explain? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

brobro,

If I remember correctly the one on the Versatile used the hub as the inner race and the ball bearings were floating in the cage.
Although it looked as if it was one unit, we were able to push the bearing off and matched it up at a bearing outlet.
Don't know it this would be similar to the Dexta but I hope so as I have to split mine not so far into the future :? .

Les