Normal smoke?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Normal smoke?

Post by gcamp »

Got my Dexta running again. :)
I have a couple of questions as I am new to diesels.
When cold started it runs rough like it is surging/hunting for probably three minutes and smokes white rich smoke (burns your eyes if inside shop). When it warms up it runs good and does not smoke. Does this sound like something is wrong or normal?
Also, how much smoke is normal to puff out of the valve cover vent pipe? I would say mine is light, like just enough to make you have a look.

Thanks,
Gene

1961 Dexta

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi gcamp, nice looking tractor , ithink that is probley normal when starting our old tractors , if it clears an runs ok after awhile , if it was contuinually haunting [reving up and down] there could possible be a small pin hole in difafram , a bit of work on the plough might help as well . these old tractors dont uasally get enought work and tend to smoke abit. Gerry

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Interesting this because my Dexta engine , which is a complete re-furb, smokes on start up after she's been stood for some time. It ain't oil in the cylinders, where would oil come from ? . My thinking is this, could the fuel tap with the cold start plunger be leaking fuel into the pipe that go's to the inlet manifold. Take it that the fuel in the tank is higher than the manifold, then fuel would be in the manifold on start up.
I have tried it with the pipe disconected and it does not smoke anymore than you would expect from a cold start. but i cannot see any fuel flow out of the disconected pipe,
Jim
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gcamp »

I am hoping it will get better with a little work. It's only been cold started three times since the head was rebuilt. I have replaced the diaphragm and there is no fuel primer pump connected. Right now I have made up a fuel line with an inline filter only, because I can't seem to get a primer pump fuel tap (back ordered). It starts fairly easy with just the heater. Maybe excess fuel from trying to start floods the cylinders?

Gene
1961 Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dextas can draw diesel into the manifold via the heater unit. A lot of NP Dextas and Super Dextas had a small brass tap in the line closr to the manifold which was used to isolate the fuel tap. They were often fitted in service to cure the problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gcamp »

Currently there is no line ran to the manifold as I have not been able to get a primer type fuel tap. I have ran a fuel line with a filter directly from the tank to the injector pump only. I think I made that sort of confusing in my other post. Also, I have the brass cutoff mentiontioned installed at the manifold and it is closed. I feel like I am overthinking this, since it runs very good when warmed up.

Gene
1961 Dexta