1962 Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

1962 Dexta

Post by Taggart »

Hi all, I have just got a 1962 Dexta that I am trying to fix up after many years of use. It runs great but the steering is sloppy, water pump leaks at bearing weep hole, brakes need tweaking & the lift arms always seem to be slowly dropping. The motor runs tight and clean. Both clutches seem to still have life left. I believe it has spent most of its life mowing & baling Hay.

I will post pics as soon as I can. I got too good of a deal on it to say no to a running tractor of any kind! If it weren't for this site I wouldn't have a clue as to what it was, much less the wealth of technical info I have already used to begin work on it. Thanks! :D

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Welcome Taggart!

Glad you found these pages!

From your serial number, it looks like you may have one of the very last pneumatic governed Dextas that was built.
Look forward to your photos!

Cheers,
Les

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Looks like a vacuum governor but she is a nice little tractor. Serial number will be on the flange between engine and clutch, behind the fuel pump. This will give more information on date.

Word of advice, the front wheels have been fitted the wrong way round. This will put a strain on the axle and steering. To avoid problems turn them back. They will run close to the king pin but that is OK.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Taggart,
Nice, clean looking tractor complete with headlights and grill screens. Did it come that way or have you replaced them?
I have seen several USA Dextas with the same grill guard bolted to the front axle.
Anyone know the make or what they were originally for?

Water pumps run around $100 on eBay (6 offered right now). Haven't priced them anywhere else.
Repair kits are also available, atleast in the UK.

Les

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Brian, Thanks! I thought that was the case just by looking at them but I wasn't sure. I'll flip them ASAP.

Lesfen, This is how I got the tractor. The only thing I have done to it is adjust the brakes, check clutch linkage and top off coolant.

I haven't decided as to return to factory condition or just work it's ass off. But it does seem to have a level of collectability so she might get cleaned up. It runs like a champ but the only thing I have issue with is the lift arms seem to have a leak down. It has Up, Down and Slowly creeping down. Sometimes I can find a sweet spot and get it to stay still for a short time before it continues to drop. Makes it a pain to bush hog when your blades start beating earth.....

The grill guard seems to be a standard ford one. I have seen a few on other ford tractors and all seem the exact same. I guess a dealer option. If I see any numbers on it I'll post.

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Brian, This is the info I posted on the Dexta registry thread

April 1962 Dexta
Engine- 1508725
Serial- 09B710457
Clutch- D9H - April 9th 1962
Gearbox- D17H - April 17th 1962
Liftcover- ?
L Axle - D16H - April 16th 1962
R Axle - D8H - April 8th 1962
I will post close up of engine for review...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

On the side of the rear axle/lift, just under the main control lever is a little lever. This selects Draft (ploughing) and Position Control ( Bush hog, sprayer etc.), If it is pointing down it will be Draft if pointing forwards it will be Position. This could be what is wrong with your lift. Operator Failure :D :D :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Thanks Brian,
But I had already read up on that control lever before I made posts. The lift arm still slowly drops even though the lever is up in the position control mode. I can get them to stop dropping by finding a sweet spot and then it will hold for a few minutes before resuming drop.

My life is never so easy as to just have a lever in wrong spot. I'm sure it will require a bit of disassembly to sort it out properly.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

OK that is good to know! Not Operator Failure. :D :D :D

Try the lever in the lower (Draft) position, then move the main control lever towards the top of the quadrant. About 1/2" from the top stop the lift arm should start to rise.

If they do not, push the selector lever backwards.

If the lift starts to rise this would confirm that your Position control follower pin is worn or broken.

When you select Position Control with the main lever at the bottom of its quadrant, you should be able to move it slowly up the quadrant and the lift arms should follow it, stopping when you stop moving the lever.

Even if you have an oil leak, the lift should keep "bouncing" as the lift tries to automatically correct the dropping.

Sounds like you are going to have to take the lift off to sort your problem.
Brian

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Brian, Thanks for the info.
I followed your test procedure and the results are as you described for the Follower pin.

I will be studying up on the repair procedures so I can repair it in the next weeks or so.
1962 Dexta
1982 Ford 1500 4X4 w/770 Loader
1976 Massey Ferguson 20C

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Question,
Once I remove the lift cover assembly, does it need a new gasket or is making an RTV one acceptable?
1962 Dexta
1982 Ford 1500 4X4 w/770 Loader
1976 Massey Ferguson 20C