Clutch question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Clutch question

Post by brobro »

I finally got a new(used) throw-out bearing and got the thing installed. The tractor was in gear and I was spinning the flywheel using a screwdriver on the ring gear to get the splines aligned. The PTO shaft went in ok and the tractor halves went together without drawing them together with bolts, just a lot of grunting and shoving. When the tractor was finally bolted down I did not expect to be able to turn the engine over, since it was in gear, but was able to do so as discribed before. I had to adjust the external linkage almost all the way down(the pin assembly that is threaded onto the rod that goes toward the aft end of the tractor(I'm an old merchant marine) underneath the foot platform where you climb into the seat. The throw-out bearing does seem to be working since you can feel it engage the first stage of the clutch and then the second, but the tractor will shift through its full range whether the clutch in engaged or not. Is something not right? I have split this tractor four times now doing this job and if I have to do it again I may chose to cut my throat instead. Any help would be appreciated more than words can express. Thanks.
Fordson dexta owner for 25 years; do all the work myself.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Something you might have checked but, is the High/Low in gear?

You do have something wrong if you can spin the engine whilst in gear. The PTO drive is the outer shaft on a live clutch, the Gearbox drive should have gone in the spline first. Check that the hub on the clutch plate is OK.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian