New member, some guestions and small part wanted ;)

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Winchester
True Blue

New member, some guestions and small part wanted ;)

Post by Winchester »

Hello,

I'm now for the first time in my life the owner of a tractor, a 1964 Fordson Super Dexta.

This is a whole new world for me, and I learn something new every day.

The tractor are not the most pretty looking tractor in the world, but to my surprise, EVERYTHING but one thing seems perfect! All the light, all the levers, brakes, wiring, pre heater, gauges, it all functions like new.

But one thing could be a bit better. The hydraulic for the front loader. It's strong as a bear, but it is SLOW! About 20 sec from the ground to max rised. And there seems to be delay before it kicks in when it has been on the ground for some time.
The rear hydraulic seems to be much faster and functions perfect.
I have tightened the flow control all inn, and that made it some what faster, but not as fast as i think it should be.

Any thoughts about what could be wrong and a possible fix?

Over to the engine and diff/gear/hydraulic oil.
Some tell me to leave it alone, and don't change it on these old engine/tractors, as that could make problems where there are non.
Any truth to that?
If not, what oil in modern terms should I use for the engine and diff?

And my last question/request:

The feed line for the diesel, where it connects to the diesel pump has worn threads, but I would like to avoid to buy the whole assembly, when I only need the top part.
Are there anyone out there that has this laying around that could take off the top part and sell it to me? I will pay for the part and all the shipping charges :)
Heres a picture of the pump, with the part I need circled:

Thank you so much for reading my thread :):)
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Congratulations on owning the tractor Tom.

There is info on oils in the sticky thread at the top of the list. Some more knowledgable members will be able to advise on use of modern oils.

I changed all the oils on mine when I first got it and had no problems.

In fact with the engine regular changes are critical. I have just replaced a 3 cylinder lister diesel on a generator set which was totally destroyed from a complete lack of oil changes. Keep in mind that diesel engine oil absorbs many contaminants and needs regular changes to remove these, hence the oil going so black. Failure to change the oil results in sludge which just blocks up all the oilways.

Peter

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Thank you I will read that thread :)

Is it the same oil reservoir for the diff, gear and hydraulic?

The part I got hold of earlier this day, so that's no longer a request :)

Now I only need some help with the hydraulic :)
Tom T. Winchester

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

The gearbox and rear axle/hydraulics have seperate oil compartments and at different levels. I believe the seal between the two compartments can fail which shows up as one level going low and the other high. Maybe somebody can comment if this is a real problem if uncorrected, or something that can be lived with?

Levels are established with level plugs rather than dip sticks.

Have a look at the following link for a workshop manual, for the level plug locations etc.

http://www.fordson-dexta.de/501255938c0 ... index.html

Peter

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Thank you so much! I was going to buy one from ebay, but that link takes care of that :):) I love this forum already!
Tom T. Winchester