Aux service valve spool removal?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Aux service valve spool removal?

Post by anthall »

Hi All

I have a 1958 Dexta in fairly original condition. It has the auxiliary service valve under the seat, but no flow adjustment know. The actual knob on the valve spool is missing, and only after 2 days of levering have I been able to move the spool valve at all. I am now able to pull the spool out enough to engage the auxiliary service as it should, but it is very tight and requires a hammer to get the valve back in place. What I need to do is to remove the spool valve and clean it up, but on looking at the workshop manual, I am slightly confused. It would seem that the only thing actually holding the spool valve in place is the locking plunger assembly. However, my aux service valve plate does not have this plunger mechanism at all. It does have a small hole where I guess one would be, but it is missing. So, does this mean that the only thing stopping my spool valve from being able to be removes id 42 years of dirt & crud?? Or is there something else that is likely to be holding this little devil in place? I have an O ring set on order so will be removing the plate in due course...

Any answers from grown ups very much appreciated...

Kind regards

anthall
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

You are not alone on this one Anthall, mine is exactly the same. I have located a small 'grub' screw on the underside that I thought might be holding it in but even after removing it it made no difference. Come on chaps, how does it come out?

EOF

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

It must be dirt or corrosion . My dexta missed that small detent plug
With a running engine I pulled that valve spool and it came out right away flooding me with oil. Had to make screw to hold it in place.
Suggest you to use lots of a good penetrating oil . After some time then proceed with turning it (put standard nut on spool extension )
You can also remove the hydraulic connector on top to add more penetrating oil on spool. Try to move it in and out together with turning it . Be patient and give the penetrating oil time to work for you.

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

Hi there - thanks for the response...looking at the drawings, I had also figured it was dirt or corrosion. I will soak in penetrating oil & see what happens.

Once again - many thanks

Kind regards

anthall
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

A quick update for anyone following this...

I now have a new knob for the valve - looks very splendid, courtesy of agriline...
Anyway - I can now operate the valve with the knob only (no need to resort to the hammer any more - hooray!)

I can now also rotate the valve spool, and it is much more "compliant" - ie - easier to move...

Not sure if I will remove the top plate or not now...it seems to be working, and if it aint broke, don't fix it, as they say...

Anyway - best to all

anthall
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Cogratulations with the result,

Feel now really grown up! :lol:

Regards Jan

anthall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by anthall »

Hi Jan

And so you should! Always nice to have a grown up on hand...thank you for helping.

Best to all

anthall
1958 Fordson Dexta
1952 Land Rover Series 1