Kingpin thrust bearing wrong size?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dextrous
True Blue

Kingpin thrust bearing wrong size?

Post by Dextrous »

I haven't posted for ages, mainly because I had nothing to report as Doris has sat in the barn unattended for many months. Also work/kids have stolen and tractor time.

However recently I decided to fix the front axle and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours. I had bought new spindles and spindle bush/bearing kit from Agriline about 2 yrs ago. After borrowiing some adjustable reamers and a very light removal of excess bush, the kingpins fit the new bushes. The old spindles' threads were completely stripped and very worn, a previous owner had used a bent nail to take up the slack when they run out of adjustment on the castle nuts.

Only problem now is that the thrust bearing supplied in the kingpin kit is too large to fit into the axle casting, The bearing outside diameter is 55.6mm however the casting internal diameter is 52.3mm.

Its the right kit number on the agriline web site ((5208), either Dexta axle castings vary in size (unlikely) or I have the wrong bearing.

Anybody else had problems? I'm working in Belfast at the moment so may head of to Dunlop's with my calipers this week and buy some more.

Cheers
Andy

Johnjt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Johnjt »

Hi Andy, I had a similar problem with a spindle kit supplied by Agriline, but it was the bushes that were the wrong size.
The kit had the correct part number Agriline said there was a few of these kits supplied with the wrong bits.

You could also check and make sure that the old outer cover of the bearing is not still in the recess.

John

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Thanks John

I took out what was left of the bearing casing amongst the mud that once must have once been grease, it had certainly had some hammer, there wasn't much bearing left.

Also, one of the new bushes is very slightly loose, one I haven't used the reamer on. I need a few bits so I may head of to Dunlop's and see what size their bearings are and get another bush.

Cheers
Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

After confirming that Dunlop's bearings were the same size I eventually got time to have a closer look at the axles. I thought I had all of the old bearing casings out. After a bit of persuasion I managed to get a ring of old casing out and the new ones now fit. I'll have to get some glasses or a job as a premier league referee. :oops: