hydraulic lift and PTO question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

hydraulic lift and PTO question

Post by brobro »

I knew things were going too well.... Today I was bushhogging and suddenly, without any apparent reason, the PTO went out. I became aware that the bushhog was not turning and then discovered the PTO had become disengaged. I tried to reengage but to no avail. The hydraulic lift would not work either. Hydraulics I know something about but have never had this problem on the tractor. I noticed that the hydraulic lift was not responding as well as before but did not investigate. I only have two more days till the job is finished and wanted to get on with it. What could be the problem? I know there is a filter in there but did not check the fluid level. I have been subjecting the bushhog to some heavy labor and so a breakdown is understandable, but the was no indication of any shaft breaking or anything like that. Please please please don't tell me I have to split the tractor again.
Fordson dexta owner for 25 years; do all the work myself.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Do you have a Live drive (double clutch) or single clutch?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Feel free to correct me but I believe the hydraulic pump is powered off the pto shaft so the PTO issue may be causing your lift issue also.
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

brobro
Not Quite Blue Yet

bensdexta

Post by brobro »

I have the double clutch. I don't think the clutch is the problem though, having just replaced it. There was no banging or clatter when it went out, as you would expect when something major broke. I am just really frustrated. having worked on this machine all summer long.
Bensdexta wrote:Do you have a Live drive (double clutch) or single clutch?
Fordson dexta owner for 25 years; do all the work myself.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I'm not an expert but have you tried engaging the PTO with the engine stopped?

IE with engine stopped, put gears in neutral, engage PTO and clutch, try turning the PTO shaft by hand. I think you should feel it locked if it is engaged properly. If you now disengage the PTO with the lever, you should be able to turn the shaft by hand. That's how my single clutch works! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!