Fan Question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kscoggins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fan Question

Post by kscoggins »

Just picked up a 1958 Dexta, excited, it is my first tractor. I live in the Southeastern US and grew up around Ford tractors all of my life. I bleed blue, trucks and tractors. Anyways I noticed the fan on my dexta is a 2 blade, but it is the type where it could be a 4 blade by stacking another blade on 90 degrees from the other. My fathers Ford NAA ( golden jubilee) has the same fan but has 4 blades. his is a Gas(petro), so I was wondering if the Dexta was supposed to have a 2 blade or 4 blade cooling fan.

Also there is a lever on the right side of the tractor, mounted to the bell housing, next to the brake pedals, it is not connected to anything. Anyone know what this is for?

Handbrake maybe ?
Thanks
Kevin Scoggins

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dextas were nearly always two bladed fans except export forvery hot countries. Yes you can fit another blade at rightangles.

Realy need a pictur of your extra lever. The handbrake is usually on the left and a big lever. A brake latch was fitted to the linkage on the right side, in the area of the hydraulic levers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi all
Just so happens I was stripping the paint off my Dexta fan prior to re painting and noticed that it had E1ADDN stamped on it. The parts list has it as E1ADDN-8607 number as well plus an addiotional fan listed as Fan Outer 15" witha 957E Dexta part number. Soit looks like the original fan is the same as a Major and the additional fan blade was special to the Dexta, as Brian says for use in hot countries. Remember that diesels tend to run cooler than petrol engines so need less air through the rad to keep them at the best running temperature.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is it the little lever attached to the tank support behind the lower dash board? this would be connected to the starter origianlly. is the solenoid attached to the starter motor? this would be a modern replacement.

Regards,

John
Last edited by john.n on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

john.n wrote:is the little lever attached to the tank support behind the lower dash board? this would be connected to the starter origianlly.
Yes, see the parts list on www.fordson-dexta.de
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!