panels

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
steamfred
Not Quite Blue Yet

panels

Post by steamfred »

please could somebody tell me if theyve had any experience in the qualtiy of panels from firms like vapour matic, sparex or a firm called farm power? many thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: panels

Post by Bensdexta »

steamfred wrote:please could somebody tell me if theyve had any experience in the qualtiy of panels from firms like vapour matic, sparex or a firm called farm power?
Not heard of Farm Power. I don't think you'll be able to buy direct from Vapormatic etc, you'll have to go to a reseller. Quality is better than it was a few years ago.

Depending where you are, you could get them from your local dealer if you trust him.

I'd probably get them from Agriline or Malcolm Hipperson, who both have good names and would I'm sure help you if they didn't fit etc. Some folk on here have had problems and Agriline for one have been pretty helpful sorting things out with replacement panels etc. It seems to be the nose cowls that give most problems.

Alternatively get a 2nd hand one, they do come up on ebay from time to time. Even if it's a bit battered your friendly panel beater will probably knock it into shape quick enough.

Let's see some pics of your baby :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I got a Sparex cowl from Malcolm. Good metal but it is about 5mm too low. This means my filler hose has a slope down and the bonnet catches are not correct, the bonnet slopes down at the front.

Dotty is a working tractor so I will stick with it until I find an original one or can get the old one repaired.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Dotty is a working tractor so I will stick with it until I find an original one or can get the old one repaired.
No a bad looking cowl on ebay: 320612637182

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

On the cowls:

This might be old news but I noticed that there was a slight difference between cowls on a '61 Dexta compared to the '62 Dexta.

The sides of the '61 and earlier carry mostly straight down whereas the sides of the '62 and later slope slightly to back to the front similar to the Super Dexta.
I wonder if this change coincided with the introduction of the mechanical governed fuel pump?
I did not find that difference noted in the parts manual though.

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:On the cowls:

This might be old news but I noticed that there was a slight difference between cowls on a '61 Dexta compared to the '62 Dexta.

The sides of the '61 and earlier carry mostly straight down whereas the sides of the '62 and later slope slightly to back to the front similar to the Super Dexta.
I wonder if this change coincided with the introduction of the mechanical governed fuel pump?
I did not find that difference noted in the parts manual though.
Good observation!

My Nov '61 Dexta with vacuum governor had the straight-sided earlier cowl, but my friend's June (I think) '62 Dexta with mechanical pump has the sloping cowl. Just realised my 'new' 2nd hand cowl is the later type - but I don't think I'll worry!

I also noticed that some cowls have square shaped tongues at the upper grill mounting points and others have more rounded tongues. But these differences don't seem to correlate with the shape of the sides.

bazjon
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bazjon »

I purchased a sparex nose cone from a local dealer. It did not fit at all, it was twisted to the left. I took it back and got a refund. I then purchased an Agriline cone which I had no issues with, and to my surprise it was miles cheaper! Bonus! One major issue with fitting these is the axle carrier, if this is bent, you have no chance. I helped a friend straighten his with a sledge hammer!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sloping sides on Dexta cowls?

Wonder if it was to accomdate the dynamo and adjustment on the Standard engined petrol. I think the straight sides would foul the dynamo pulley.

It would be at the same time as the clutch bell housing changes for the starter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Sloping sides on Dexta cowls?

Wonder if it was to accomdate the dynamo and adjustment on the Standard engined petrol. I think the straight sides would foul the dynamo pulley.

It would be at the same time as the clutch bell housing changes for the starter.
I think the straight sides give more clearance at the dynamo position. I suspect that the later cowl was easier to make as it eliminated the tight curve at the top of the sides.

The slopey cowl seems to correlate with the intro of the Minimex pump, early 1962? :?:

steamfred
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by steamfred »

many thanks for all your help ,i have had the chance to buy second hand .so i think iwill go down that road