Fuel Filter Bowl - AC type

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

This is the fuel filter bowl off my 61 Dexta.

It is marked AC on the top.

Am I missing any gaskets, seals, washers, etc?

I'm aware there should be large and smaller seals in the indentations under the top.

But is there just the spring & washer underneath the filter element?

Thanks.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Ben,

My parts book shows more 3 items between the washer and bottom of filter:

#17> E512-CL-9 (Gasket, fuel oil filter)
#18> 116276-ES (Washer, gasket support)
#22> E1ADDN-99116-B (Seal, fuel oil filter)

Cheers,
Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:My parts book shows more 3 items between the washer and bottom of filter:
#17> E512-CL-9 (Gasket, fuel oil filter)
#18> 116276-ES (Washer, gasket support)
#22> E1ADDN-99116-B (Seal, fuel oil filter)
Hi,
Thanks, yes I saw that on p 104. It's all a bit confusing.
Are these consumables? Perhaps 18 isn't?
Where do I get 17, 18 & 22 from?

There's a footnote saying 18 & 22 are 'No longer serviced'. What does that mean, not needed or procure locally??

Presumeably these parts are to seal the hole in the bottom of the filter and make the fuel flow out of the side of the filter?
Thanks,

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Ben,
I have found, over here, 'no longer serviced' means the depot no longer bothers to carry them but a dealer might still have some old stock.

I think #18 will be the tough one to find as it appears to be a holder for sealing rings 17 & 22. (square shouldered orings might be available locally)

A wrecker might have a complete unit.
Or make one. (I was impressed by Stephen's and your fuel primers!)

I'll have a look at ours tonight and measure it up if that helps.

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:I have found, over here, 'no longer serviced' means the depot no longer bothers to carry them but a dealer might still have some old stock.

I think #18 will be the tough one to find as it appears to be a holder for sealing rings 17 & 22. (square shouldered orings might be available locally)

A wrecker might have a complete unit.
Or make one.

I'll have a look at ours tonight and measure it up if that helps.
Les,
Any clues on what should be there would be much appreciated! :wink:

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Ben,

Took a look at the AC fuel filter on a '62 Super Dexta that is not running and to my surprise found exactly what you did>>> just a washer and a spring!?
(Has AC, D08-1 and FF23 Element cast on the top of the head.)
Tomorrow I'll check out our original '62 Super Dexta.

Later,
Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

AC Fuel Filter - top

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:Took a look at the AC fuel filter on a '62 Super Dexta that is not running and to my surprise found exactly what you did>>> just a washer and a spring!?
Les,
Ah ha!!
It can't be right though, as a seal is needed to block the hole in the bottom of the filter, and make the fuel flow from the outside of the filter into the inner core, thence up and out through the outlet near the centre of the filter assy top.

Here are pics of my top, sounds like the same as your Super D.
Note that the casting marked "IN" is blank. The inlet is the unmarked casting opposite.

Here is the underside with the outlet by the bleed screw upper centre.

Look forward to hearing what you discover on your other Super D!! :wink:
Many thanks,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: AC Fuel Filter - top

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Bensdexta wrote:
Lesfen wrote:Took a look at the AC fuel filter on a '62 Super Dexta that is not running and to my surprise found exactly what you did>>> just a washer and a spring!?
Les,
Ah ha!!
It can't be right though, as a seal is needed to block the hole in the bottom of the filter, and make the fuel flow from the outside of the filter into the inner core, thence up and out through the outlet near the centre of the filter assy top.

Here are pics of my top, sounds like the same as your Super D.

Perhaps a new filter would have a seal attatched. i got a filter from Agriline and it had a cork seal at each end
Note that the casting marked "IN" is blank. The inlet is the unmaked casting opposite.

Here is the underside with the outlet by the bleed screw upper centre.

Look forward to hearing what you discover on your other Super D!! :wink:
Many thanks,
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hey Ben,

Your 'Ah ha!' could be right on!

Found the very same setup on our original '62 Super Dexta :shock:
(Just a spring and a washer.... although this washer is somewhat thinner and has a bit larger diameter. (0.026" thick, 0.520" ID and 1/341" OD)
It seems that a regular flat washer has been substituted on the 1st tractor I looked at.
Same casting on the filter head with a EIADDN-99162B filter inside.

Unfortunately the spring is in two pieces! (Glad we had to take a look!)
It looks to be the same as the first one which has 5.5 coils, wire diameter of .065", outside diameter is 0.728" and is 1.212" long.
(Looks just like your photo.)

Also have a EIADDN-99162A filter on the shelf which is listed for the US market in the parts book.
It is slightly taller and has larger ID thin, flat gaskets glued on the top and bottom and comes with the #22 seal.

Our and your washers look to have a larger diameter that what is shown in the parts book but maybe it is only a drawing?

Now I'm really wondering if that is the way they came as we got this S Dexta in '63 with under 100 hours on it and have serviced it ourselves!

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:Found the very same setup on our original '62 Super Dexta :shock:
(Just a spring and a washer.... although this washer is somewhat thinner and has a bit larger diameter. (0.026" thick, 0.520" ID and 1/341" OD)
It seems that a regular flat washer has been substituted on the 1st tractor I looked at.
Same casting on the filter head with a EIADDN-99162B filter inside.

Unfortunately the spring is in two pieces! (Glad we had to take a look!)
It looks to be the same as the first one which has 5.5 coils, wire diameter of .065", outside diameter is 0.728" and is 1.212" long.
(Looks just like your photo.)

Also have a EIADDN-99162A filter on the shelf which is listed for the US market in the parts book.
It is slightly taller and has larger ID thin, flat gaskets glued on the top and bottom and comes with the #22 seal.

Our and your washers look to have a larger diameter that what is shown in the parts book but maybe it is only a drawing?

Now I'm really wondering if that is the way they came as we got this S Dexta in '63 with under 100 hours on it and have serviced it ourselves!
Hi,
My spring and washer have near enough same dims as yours. As you say the washer is pretty thin.

So it looks like these are orignal parts - our Dx seems to be fairly original although she was 12yr when we got her.

I think I will replace my spring as it's badly corroded in one place, and we have a 'spring' warehouse just down the road.

So the answer seems to be just sit the filter on a largish O-ring that fits snugly around the central rod. Must see if my filter has a cork seal at the end as YDM says.

Many thanks for the detective work :wink: