It can't be only me? Cast threads

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Winchester
True Blue

It can't be only me? Cast threads

Post by Winchester »

It seems that no matter what I unbolt on my super dexta 1964, I always have problem getting it back in.
Last was the glow plug! Got it out OK, screwing in the new one was a hassle! Looked like I got it in straight, but after a few turns with the wrench, it way out of threads!
It worked out OK as I some way got it straight in by forsing it one way with one hand and used a wrench with the other. Maybe that fixed the threads, the last half way in it was like nothing happend.

Til now I have had this problem with the diesel line from the hand pump to the manifold, one diesel line on to the diesel feed pump and the diesel filter. I'm almost scared of removing something as I know I will have a problem getting it back on/in!
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Don't be scared, it's all part of the fun!

Here are a few tips: If you are struggling to remove a bolt/nut use some penetrating oil an hour or so before you try to remove it.

If you are replacing an old part with a new part, check the threads against the old part before replacing.

Get yourself a good wire brush and a round wire brush, you can then clean the threads of old nuts/bolts before replacing them.

On diesel lines, you may need to use new copper washers/olives to re-seal the system and also some blue hylomar or similar to prevent leakage.

Most of all, take your time, and make sure you get threads in evenly, not cross threaded!

Regards,
Mark

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

I keep a couple of sets of cheap thread taps around just for chasing + cleaning threads, along with some wire bottle brushes (round).

The cheap taps won't last long if you are trying to cut new threads with them, but do well enough for cleaning and straightening existing ones. Be sure to oil them when using.

Follow up with a squirt of 'brake' cleaner and a shot of compressed air.
Jack