Question for a Dexta Buff.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Question for a Dexta Buff.

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Was at Newark Tractor show today and in one of the pavillions was a Dexta, which had a Perkins P3 152, fitted, was certainly a Perkins with a CAV DPA, pump and indirect injection.
On the Show plaque attatched, it said it was a 1960 Dexta and was fitted with this engine when built as a Pre-runner to Fords building the Super Dexta, I was not able to find out any more on this but i don't think the owner would have shown this tractor if it was not so. Would anyone have any thoughts on this :scratchhead: Jim.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Jim,

Interesting find!

Did you happen to get any casting codes and serial number to see if all the major parts were cast about the same time?

The engine serial and any casting numbers from the left side of the engine would shed some more info.

Any chance of seeing it again?

Cheers,
Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That one has been around some time. It is thought to be an experimental tractor from the Boreham test farm.

I have never seen it close to but I see no reason not to believe that Fords tried a cheap engine before building a proper one. :D

The original P3 engine was fitted to the Dexta prototypes for testing back in 1955/1956.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Jim,

I have seen that tractor at many shows, it is genuine, it usually has all the information displayed on a board, I was also at Newark on Saturday.

BarryT

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi,

I find this tractor really interesting but a bit confusing.
Is this engine a P3 with the timing chain drive or is it the later 3.152 with gear drive? Is the oil filler located in the valve cover? Must have the Dexta sump?
Was it tested, with the extra HP, to see if the rest of the driveline components of the Dexta would hold up?

It would be great to see photos of that tractor and/or display board!

Les