oily threads

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

oily threads

Post by john.n »

at Newark i bought a pto guard with a single mounting hole, so i have asumed that this was for the lower bolt that holds the ptoshaft in place to pass through?
i fitted it like that but came back today to find a nice pool of oil on the floor where the oil had leaked past the threads on the bolt.
first question is does the tapping in the casting go into the inside where the oil is?
second question how do i stop the oil leak?

can i just wipe some silicone on the threads?

many thanks

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Re: oily threads

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

john.n wrote:does the tapping in the casting go into the inside where the oil is?
I have been advised that this is indeed the case at times. I investigated the same issue when I changed the oil earlier in the year, and found the casting had broken away behind the thread (maybe caused by somebody winding in a bolt that was too long). I found the peice of casting in the bottom of the hydraulic/diff chamber.
how do i stop the oil leak?

can i just wipe some silicone on the threads?
I actually went to the trouble of removing the PTO carrier completely, sealing it back in place with hylomar blue, renewing the check chain brackets and all four fixing bolts, and smearing hylomar blue on the threads before bolting up.

Removing the PTO carrier is a simple job. I believe you can park the tractor facing down hill if you don't want to drain the oil.

All I know now is, it doesn't leak :D so now I have a nice clean PTO/hitch area. But, I also know not to try fitting a PTO guard as I don't want to undo a bolt and incur a leak :wink:

Hope this helps,

Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: oily threads

Post by Bensdexta »

john.n wrote:at Newark i bought a pto guard with a single mounting hole, so i have asumed that this was for the lower bolt that holds the ptoshaft in place to pass through?
There should also be a bracket which attaches the guard to the top pto bolt, see part#22 on p 82 of parts list
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

the seal didnt leak before and does not leak now i have removed the pto guard again, so ill use a sealent then. and i did think one mounting point would be a bit weak.

many thanks for your replies.