Headlight Position

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Headlight Position

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi all,

I installed a pair of headlights today and thought the lens would sit roughly in line with the grilles. They actually sit a little way forward, but are almost touching the radiator.

Are the lights really supposed to. Be proud of the grille? If so, i'll tidy the wiring and finish the installation.

Thanks for any comments or photos,

Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Headlight Position

Post by Bensdexta »

Chug-A-Lug wrote:I installed a pair of headlights today and thought the lens would sit roughly in line with the grilles. They actually sit a little way forward, but are almost touching the radiator.

Are the lights really supposed to. Be proud of the grille? If so, i'll tidy the wiring and finish the installation.
I take it you have a Super D or a 'new look' D with lights in the grills?

The corrct head lamps for above are shallower than for the classic D with lamps on the nose cone sides. Maybe you have the deeper lamps?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Sorry, yes its a super dexta. I'm fairly sure I have the shallow lamps. When fitted they are very close to the radiator.

Maybe my front bonnet panel has taken a nudge and is not as far forward from the radiator as it should be. I'll try to get a photo or two tomorrow...
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

In most photos the lens sits a little way forward of the grills, which are approx level with the join where the front of the lamp meets the rear dish.

Yes I thinks it's normal for the gap between rear of lamp and radiator to be 'small', one reason for having bull bars on the front.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!