Key Ignition Wiring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Key Ignition Wiring

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Another question...

I have roughly wired up the new headlamps on my super dexta and have a question about the ignition wiring.

From memory, there are four terminals on the ignition barrel, numbered 1 2 3 4. Currently, the new lights are able to opperate without the key turned. Does anybody know which terminal to take the power from so that the lights only work with the key turned?

Thanks for any help :)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All lights operate without the ignition turned on most tractors. You cannot take the light current through the ignition side of the switch without burning the switch out.

If you want to modify the system, you need to fit a relay to carry the headlight current, which is operated by the ignition side of the switch, like modern cars.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Key Ignition Wiring

Post by Bensdexta »

Chug-A-Lug wrote:Does anybody know which terminal to take the power from so that the lights only work with the key turned? :)
That might not be a good idea.

If you had to leave your tractor after dark on the public highway unattended (eg to get help), you would have to leave the key in.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

and that's why I ask stupid questions. Thanks guys, I'll leave it how it is :)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...