Tale of two shrouds

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Tale of two shrouds

Post by Bensdexta »

I have a mystery:

I just bought a 2nd hand fan shroud on ebay which was quoted as having the correct pn for standard Dexta. 957E8146B, see below
I was assured by the seller that it is correct for a standard radiator with 14" core, which is what mine is.
I haven't got it yet so haven't tried to fit it.

However the 'new' shroud is clearly different from my old tatty one:

The new one appears to be taller with the lower mounting holes further up from the bottom.

Does anyone know if the shroud design changed during the life of the Dexta?

TIA :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

commander
True Blue

Re: Tale of two shrouds

Post by commander »

Ben, the parts book I'm looking at shows 3 different shrouds.

957E 8146-B for the standard 57 - 64
960E 8146-B for the Super 4/62 - 64
959E 8146-B for petrol 11/60 - 64

I believe the supers were taller. I've never seen a petrol in person.
Can't tell you much more than that I'm afraid.
Jack

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Looks like you have a Super Dexta one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks folks,

My thought also was that the new one is for a Super; however I asked the vendor before I bought it, who assured me it is for a standard D with 14" rad core.

All will be revealed when I try it for size!

Does anyone know if pn 960E 8146B is for a Super, and if it is indeed taller than the 957E ?? :wink:

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Ben,

From our Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta, Parts List, Owners Edition 1962:
957E-8146 (no difference between Dexta and Super Dexta)

From Dexta and Super Dexta Parts List 1957/- (F001566/10/63):
Dexta >>957E-8146 (11/57on)
Petrol >>959E-8146 (11/60on)
S Dexta >>960E-8146 (6/63on)

The later parts book shows the same numbers as what commander had posted earlier.

And......on both our '62 Super Dextas the shroud does not go up to the top of the radiator. (looks to be the same as a Dexta)

It may be that the Super Dexta used the same shroud as the Dexta until 6/63 when the New Performance Super Dexta came out and the shroud was given more height.

So, I think you may have a 6/63 Super Dexta shroud coming?

I'll try and get the tape measure out tomorrow.

I think this was mentioned in previous posts: that the rad. for both the S Dexta and Petrol share the same part number.

Cheers,
Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Commander is exactly right according to the UK parts book. The Super Dexta has always had a different shroud from 1962 to cope with the taller radiator.

I have been looking into shrouds because I need one for Dotty and petrol ones are like hens teeth. I cannot see why a diesel Dexta one will not fit as the only difference in the radiator is an increased number of tubes and closer spacing of the fins. Think it might be the size of the fan that is different.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Brian,

Maybe not so relevant to the tale of two shrouds, but certainly a possibility regarding the petrol dexta shroud, it may not be fan size but waterpump centerline height that is different. I can't imagine that a standard petrol engine and a ford diesel would have the water pumps at the same height. It might be one of those jobs where you have to slice of the top and the bottom of a diesel shroud and weld the centre in upside down to get the fan hole in the right place. Maybe a few tips from Pat AKA BearCreek Majors might be in order, he did a great job of slicing that bus up and putting it back together.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Brian,

I am still of the opinion that the taller shroud for the Super Dexta came in 1963.
Both our '62 Super Dextas have the shorter shroud and one is certainly original since it was our neighbour's until 1964 when we bought it.
And.. the '62 Owners Parts Book does not show a difference between Dexta and Super Dexta but the 10/63 parts book shows the difference from 6/63 on.
The taller shroud certainly should also fit the earlier Super Dextas.

Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There are actually six different shrouds. Source Ford UK Dealer Parts Book.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:I think this was mentioned in previous posts: that the rad. for both the S Dexta and Petrol share the same part number.
Is that right??

NH online parts list says standard D rad # is 957E 8005 and Super D is 959E 8005.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether my new shroud fits - will let you know :wink:

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Ben,

I checked the Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta Parts List >>(F001566/10/63)>> and it shows the same radiator part number for the Super and Petrol Dexta >>>959E-8005.

Also, I suspect, if the Super Dexta used a different rad. when it was released it might show the updated 960E prefix rather than the 959E.
Just eyeballing the 2 they sure look similar.
There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the rad and the nose cone on the Petrol!
Hope your shroud works out.
Cheers,
Les

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Frank and Brian,

I had a peek at the Petrol and Super Dexta fans and shrouds.
The Petrol fan has a slightly larger diameter (~3/4") and sits a bit lower (~1 1/2")than the Super Dexta.

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Lesfen wrote:I checked the Fordson Dexta and Super Dexta Parts List >>(F001566/10/63)>> and it shows the same radiator part number for the Super and Petrol Dexta >>>959E-8005.

Also, I suspect, if the Super Dexta used a different rad. when it was released it might show the updated 960E prefix rather than the 959E.
Just eyeballing the 2 they sure look similar.
There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the rad and the nose cone on the Petrol!
Les,
How could I doubt you! I omitted to read the word petrol :wink:
For interest, CNH parts list says procure locally for Radiator Assy., Gas, Years: 11/01/1960-12/31/1964

If Super and petol have the same rads, it is interesting to wonder why the nose cones aren't the same? Maybe the Super D cone is more ornimental than essential? :scratchhead:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I think it could be a parts book error. My book still shows three radiators in 1965. I wonder how the filler hose fits on a taller radiator and a Dexta cowl.

Thanks for the fan information Les, thought that would be the case but have not got around to sorting it out.
Brian

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

[quote="Brian"]I wonder how the filler hose fits on a taller radiator and a Dexta cowl./quote]

It's pretty tight and the filler hose slopes down slightly from the radiator and holds a bit of coolant in the bend so it always looks full.
On the '61 a previous owner has bolted the filler spout on top of the nose cone ledge (rather than underneath to gain ~1/4") and cut a hole in the top of the hood for clearance!

The only one I'm sure is original is our '62 Super Dexta and it has a shorter shroud!

Ben,
The Super Dexta is taller and the bigger rad fits better.

I see that there are 2 slightly different Dexta parts books online, one on the CNH site and another on the New Holland web site!
At the bottom of the page more shroud extensions are listed but no picture or illustration number!
I'm really confused now.
Ready to start counting fins and tubes :?

Les