Dexta rockers, and taking head off.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Dexta rockers, and taking head off.

Post by Nick »

I have decided that i am going to take the head off of my dexta diesel tomorrow, as the engine is seized. I have taken the rocker cover off and looked at how everything is, doesnt look too bad. Now ive only ever worked on my majors engine with puchrods etc, and the dexta looks different. Do i have to unbolt the rocker arm before i take the head off?]
Sorry for being a bit stupid, just never had anything to do with the dexta before :)
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

pjjms
True Blue

Re: Dexta rockers, and taking head off.

Post by pjjms »

There is a manual avainable on this site which will cover what you need to know. :D

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manuals.htm

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Well i got the head off today, and it isnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. Two cylinders look pretty much untouched, one had some water in it however, but i reckon it can be fixed with a hammer. There is hardly any wear in the liners, no lip at all so im hoping the engine can stay in the tractor as long it will un-seize.

Some more stupid questions, as you sit on the seat, there is a lever under the seat near the hydraulic control which turns 90 degrees, what does this do?
Also on the other side next to the handbrake there is another small lever, what does this do?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Puor a bit of diesel in the bore and leave it sitting for a while before trying to un seize. Dont forget to change the engine oil as thats where the diesel will end up.
The lever on the RH side has 2 positions. Horizontal = position control, vertical = draft control for the hydraulics.

The lever on the left selects PTO on when in the rear position. If you look at the arm dropping down from the bell housing that the clutch padel rod connects to are there 2 holes for the clutch rod?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yes there are two holes, only one is being used however. I was looking at this yesterday wondering why it was there?
Thankyou for the info on the levers, much appreciated.
Amazingly although it has been in a hedge for 15 years or so, the brakes are free, and they work! The steering also works fine, everything is free (apart from the engine), and it looks very original, the only bits rusted are the rear wings!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Nick wrote:Yes there are two holes, only one is being used however. I was looking at this yesterday wondering why it was there?
The reason pjjms asked about the clutch rod holes is that he wanted to establish wether your dexta is fitted with a live drive two stage clutch. By pulling out the clevis pin and moving the rod to the second hole has two effects 1. it increases the clutch pedal travel (up to you neck nearly :lol: ) 2. enables the first part travel to disengage the main gearbox i.e. to change gear or stop travelling but allows the PTO to still run, the second stage by moving the pedal to the bottom stop will disengage the PTO drive (all stop).

It's only useful when running PTO driven implements so you dont stop the implement at headlands or when changing speed, it also removes the need for an overrun clutch so the implement inertia doenst drive the tractor when the clutch is disengaged.
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Aha i see, so mine seems as though its live drive then, i suppose i will prove this when i get it going.