Super Dexta Hydraulics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Herbliverett
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta Hydraulics

Post by Herbliverett »

I just brought home my first Super Dexta at least that is what is says on the front. It runs great. However, the hydraulics don't work at all. I am wondering, should I go and purchase an upper gasket and o ring set from agraline or others and open it up to see what is going on in there? Or, should I get a pressure gauge and put it in one of the ports and see if the pump is pumping? Please let me know your thoughts.
It would be great to have the hydraulics working

EddieJ
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta Hydraulics

Post by EddieJ »

Check your rear oil level, a quick check to see if the hyd pump is working just decap the external service pipe at the back and pull the knob (if there is still a knob attached) to switch the service pipe feed, oil sould squirt out so make sure that nothing or anyone is behind you.

The weak spot on the hydraulics is the cam follower pin (a search on here should reveal lots of info) ours had sheared right through and caused no lift on the hydraulics. We replaced it with a short section of silver steel, the pin should be made of hardened steel. Change the orings and gasket, clean the gause inlet filter and if you want you can replace the return filter, the chances are is that the oil is very milky too although this is normal but thick slidge aint good.

Unless its an oil level issue you'll need the top off, its quite heavy a hoist is reccommended but we have lifted them by hand, you need to lift the top a long way to clear the rear casting.

Welcome aboard
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------