Fordson Super Dexta: brakes full of grease

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nms-georg
True Blue

Fordson Super Dexta: brakes full of grease

Post by nms-georg »

Hi!
I got some days ago my firtst tractor, 1965 Fordson Super Dexta... :) Now I'm starting to fix some things that are not working right - first project will be the brakes as they out without function...

I have open the drums and they have been full of grease :(
- where does it come from?
- will it be enough to clean everything up, mount new brake plates and they will work again right?

Thanks, George

tom lad
True Blue

Re: Fordson Super Dexta: brakes full of grease

Post by tom lad »

hi

brakes contaminated with oil/ grease should be binned , buy new set. BUT no harm in tryna clean them up first, lots of parrafin ,diesel , then brake pad cleaner un till they come clean /dry .

were did the grease come from ?
do any dexta have a grease nippel on the outer bearing hub , ? some of my fergies do , i'm told if u over grease that it weeps in to the brake drum area ..... dont think my s dexta has one tho .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Hi!
Just checked it, there are no grease nippel in this area... Actually I don't no where the grease came from. I think it's coming out of the axle and that mean my sealing (outer and/or inner) are broken... Just in case I try to change them am I right that I have to get the axle out of the housing?
- do I need to let the oil out or can it stay in? If yes, how do I get it out?
- what do I need? Just the inner and outer sealing or something else?

Thanks, George

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Do not use paraffin or diesel to clean the brake shoes! Only use petrol as it evaporates and leaves the shoes dry. You have possibly got leaking seals on the halfshafts and these would need addressing before the brake repair will be successful. Reconditioned brake shoes would be the best way forward but you need to stop the oil/grease getting in first.

There are no greasers on Dexta halfshafts unless someone has fitted them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Hi Brian
Thanks fpr your reply... So I will start to remove the halfshafts... Three questions:
- how can I check the level of Oil in the axle?
- how can I remove the oil of the axle?
- do I need to remove the oil before I take out the halfshafts?

ZThanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is a square headed plug hiding under the PTO selector lever to check the oil level.

If you are just drawing the halfshafts and bearing out by releasing the ring of nuts behind the brake back plate, then you will not have to drain the oil, if you take off the axle trumpet housing you will.

You will need special tools to remove the bearing from the shaft to get to the seal. A Super Dexta should have a large threaded nut holding the bearing on but earlier tractors had a "Heat Shrunk" metal sleeve. If you have one of these, you will have to cut it off with a drill/chisel/angle grinder. A replacement can be got from your local MF dealer at considerably less cost than from your NH dealer.

The axle oil drain plug is under the rear axle, probably hidden by your drawbar/PU Hitch, and your filler is behind the seat.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Thanks, found it. But why is the stupid screw square and not like all other ones - this are things that I will never understand...

What kind of tool do I need to take the bearings of? Are this standard tools that every car mechanic has?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All level plugs are square headed, that tells you its an oil level. If it has a hexagon head or screw driver head it is not an oil level. The plugs are tappered so do not over tighten it.

You will really need a hydraulic press to get the bearing off without damaging anything although others may have their methods. :D
Brian

nms-georg
True Blue

Post by nms-georg »

Brian wrote:All level plugs are square headed, that tells you its an oil level.
ok, greamt, something new for me :)
Brian wrote:If it has a hexagon head or screw driver head it is not an oil level. The plugs are tappered so do not over tighten it..
My first job is to get it open - looks like it will be hard...
Brian wrote:You will really need a hydraulic press to get the bearing off without damaging anything although others may have their methods. :D
.[/quote]

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

You can download the full workshop manual from fordson-dexta.de :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

The grease comes from the axle bearing , your inner seal went bad and the oil from the rear end forced the grease out to the brake shoes I was told you could clean the shoes up , bake the grease out in an old oven , but decided to buy new shoes, install new inner seals , repack the axle bearings and let it ride. :beer: