Small oil leak

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Small oil leak

Post by Nick »

I have a small but steady oil leak on the back end, looks as though its the seal where the clutch pedal hinges and also the pto lever. I cant seem to find a new oil seal anywhere though. Any one else had this problem?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Small oil leak

Post by Tubal Cain »

An O ring is used to seal the PTO lever.

Gerald

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Try Agriline
Brake cross shaft seal part # 5831.
Cheers
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Ah, didnt see that one there, probably because i was looking for a different thing! While im on the subject of the clutch lever, it has a hell of a lot of play on its shaft, how easy is the bush to replace?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
Remove the PTO lever from the shaft (crossbolt on the shaft) and the lever can be removed. I removedd the Clutch lever by removing the Clevis pin and the lever can be slid off.
To replace the bush I cut through the old one with a hacksaw where the blade had been passed through the centre and retightened. Once cut through a few taps with a punch/screwdriver to collapse the old bush inwards. The new bush I pressed it in using the jaws of my vice and a couple of suitable sockets to squeeze the bush in making sure the grease hole is lined up with the grease nipple on the clutch arm.
Note the PTO bolt is tapered and splined so is a bit fiddly to re-position.
Hope this helps, it certainly stopped the slop!!
On a small aside it was quite obvious that the paint spray job at Dagenham missed the inside face of the clutch lever, there was only a tiny drift of paint there!
Cheers
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

Hi please can you tell me
is the O ring "An O ring is used to seal the PTO lever" tubal cain was talking about the same part as
jerry coles said you can get from agriline
"Try Agriline
Brake cross shaft seal part # 5831".
or is there 2 oil seals, as i have looked at the 5831 part and i would not call that an O ring (but what do i know) any help would be welcome

spike

spike
True Blue

Re:dexta brake springs

Post by spike »

Hi
just looking at brakes on the dexta, 1st one drum came off very easy with not to much :curse: .
i removed all the springs and did a good clean up all looks ok the springs that come in through the back plate need replacing.

but here is the problem i have 4 springs 2 brake anchors, 1 brake shoe spring and 1 brake shoe return spring one is fatter than the other, one goes by the adjuster and the other at the hinged side, now for the question what goes were i stupidly did not make a note and i can only take one wheel off at a time (shed to small) so cant look at the other side.

and any tips how to get the springs back on with out them flying round the shed and me smashing my knuckles

regards
spike