Fuel pipes...again!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Fuel pipes...again!

Post by Bensdexta »

Some Q's:
  • Were original Dexta fuel pipes steel? At least some of mine seem to be. Others are copper, are these replacements?

Some of my copper pipes are spagetti-shaped. How best to straighten them? Perhaps anneal them first by heating, then fill with water, freeze, and bend over a suitable rod?

Anyone bought repro fuel pipes, eg from A...? Did they fit and did they leak?

Has anyone got a fuel tap on their manifold? Does it screw directly into the manifold, or must it be spliced into the fuel pipe? Anyone got a pic?
TIA :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

tom lad
True Blue

Re: Fuel pipes...again!

Post by tom lad »

another question m8 :wink:

mine has a glass bowl ( water trap sediment )in the fuel line between tap and filter ? not sure is original but pipes are fairly neat

doesn't show in the manuals .. late model feature ?

i tink my line to heater has a compression nut on the end , from memory , so easyly un done .it has a tap screwed in to the heater with a little tommy bar lever ting to turn it 90 ` on , off ( leave it off so it dont leak , but my leaver is missin so it makes it hard to tell if its on or off . its listed on A...... E website.
i think u doffo need one fitted or diesel weeps in to the manifold over time .

never used the heater on mine as it always runs easyly from cold not got a wire to the heater either :oops:

tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Never seen a filter with a glass bowl on a dexta before (although plenty of application sdo use them and its a pretty standard simms/cav part).

All my fuel lines have been steel construction and thankfuly all in ok condition (with the exception of the leak off pipe which was fixed with copper brake pipe)

Copper straightens pretty easily but do use a pipe bender for re-shaping them. Annealing will help.

I dont have a tap to shut off teh supply to the pre-heat section althoguh I suspect I amy need one at some point (although the fuel tap/pre-heat pump seems pretty good on mine)
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

Original Dexta fuel pipes are steel! used cut rubber fuel line instead of brass olives on the ends of the steel pipe,it sealed the pipes, used a cav single stage filter unit, I replaced the fordson original filter unit
Last edited by shawnee on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

shawnee wrote:Original Dexta fuel pipes are steel! Bought from A..... web site did not fit did not bother to try to send back did not want to pay the high shipping.
Hi Shawnee,
Which pipe did you buy?
Sorry to hear it didn't fit :(
Did you tell them?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

tom lad wrote:another question m8 :wink:

i tink my line to heater has a compression nut on the end , from memory , so easyly un done .it has a tap screwed in to the heater with a little tommy bar lever ting to turn it 90 ` on , off ( leave it off so it dont leak , but my leaver is missin so it makes it hard to tell if its on or off . its listed on A...... E website.
i think u doffo need one fitted or diesel weeps in to the manifold over time .

tom
We have had two replacement inlet manifold taps from a well known supplier, but both leak like hell, dripping fuel down on to the starter motor. The second tap was a free replacement for the leaking first one. The main fuel tank and primer is also a new replacement from the same supplier. I think the taps dont leak in to the manifold but fuel just seeps past the conical seats and drips off the bottom. We've tried to grind the tap faces using lapping paste which helped but its one of those annoying things that shouldn't be an issue.
Has anyone had a good one and could they tell me where from, thanks.

On topic:
Our leak off pipe is steel but with copper banjo fittings I think. The cold start line is copper but it's not original
shawnee wrote:Original Dexta fuel pipes are steel! Bought from A..... web site did not fit did not bother to try to send back did not want to pay the high shipping.

If its the company I think it is they are usually pretty good at sending out the replacements. We had two l/h lights sent insead of 1 r/h and 1 l/h. We were told to keep the incorrect one and they sent out another next day. If the issue is a known problem they probably wont want the defective parts back but if they want to investigate then the shipping costs should lie with them. - give them a call you might be suprised. :o
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------