Blue paint question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dell Balallan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Blue paint question

Post by Dell Balallan »

Time is coming nearer to paint the dexta and Im wondering what paint people have used?
there are a few different ones on ebay.
Has anyone tryed this one as it seems a fair price, but as we know cheap is'nt always good!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Agric ... 5adc4d96ab
Also I just phoned my local paint supplier to ask about paint there and they said that there were 3 different colours listed in their book, they were, Ford tractor blue, Empire blue and Corporate blue, does anyone know which one I should go for and if there is actually much difference in the 3 colours.
Any help greatly appreciated
cheers :D

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Blue paint question

Post by henk »

Try the local CNH dealer. They should have the Ford colour, but that will be to dark. Maybe they have other colours. It's good quality and it might be cheaper.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Colour is Empire Blue on Dextas up to 1963 then NP Blue after that. I used Tractol on Dotty but Old Twenty Tractor Parts has a very good paint too.

Please do not use Twin Pack! Tractors were not a high quality finished item and they look so wrong polished and smooth! (IMHO).
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dell Balallan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dell Balallan »

Brian wrote:Colour is Empire Blue on Dextas up to 1963 then NP Blue after that.
Excellent, thanks very much for your help. :beer:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Tons of threads on here about paint, so recommend a search. Perhaps first thing is to decide whether you want to use 1-pot or 2-pack. The latter is more durable and cures much quicker but is nasty stuff (iso-cyanates), so is probably best left to the professionals.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Dell Balallan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dell Balallan »

Bensdexta wrote:Tons of threads on here about paint, so recommend a search. Perhaps first thing is to decide whether you want to use 1-pot or 2-pack. The latter is more durable and cures much quicker but is nasty stuff (iso-cyanates), so is probably best left to the professionals.
Did a search but couldnt find what I was after sorry :oops: .
I'm just going to go for single pack, but I spent a couple of years working in a local body shop so it wouldnt be a problem for me to use their booth to paint the 2k if needed.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dell Balallan wrote:
Bensdexta wrote:Tons of threads on here about paint, so recommend a search. Perhaps first thing is to decide whether you want to use 1-pot or 2-pack. The latter is more durable and cures much quicker but is nasty stuff (iso-cyanates), so is probably best left to the professionals.
I'm just going to go for single pack, but I spent a couple of years working in a local body shop so it wouldnt be a problem for me to use their booth to paint the 2k if needed.
DB, If your Dexta is a 1961, it's blue & orange, ie Empire Blue and Howard Rotavator Orange (the nearest colour match). Both are available from New Holland, as "Q-cote"
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Dell Balallan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dell Balallan »

Bensdexta wrote:
Dell Balallan wrote:
DB, If your Dexta is a 1961, it's blue & orange, ie Empire Blue and Howard Rotavator Orange (the nearest colour match). Both are available from New Holland, as "Q-cote"
yes mine is a 61 model, thanks very much for your help again.

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

CNH 9613887DS acrylic enamel ford blue paid $56.13 , BLP orange enamel http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... nfbp3f.jpg[/img]

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I use Vapourmatic paints for my tractors, it works quite well and they have a good range of tractor colours,

regards

Ian