Gearbox question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Gearbox question

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Hi there all. would anyone know this, bad noise and clonk in my Standard 1960 Dexta, which after removing the gearbox from the back axle, and from the clutch housing, ( leaving the clutch housing still joined to the engine, ) i find a badly worn main shaft, with the end allmost down to 10mm, and the roller bearing gone,
it would also appear the drive shaft from the clutch to the gearbox is also a bit worn, My question is, if i want to replace the clutch shaft, can i take it out without removing the bell housing from the engine, have read the manual but still not sure if this can be done, :idea: please, Jim.
Last edited by YorkshireDextaMan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Gearbox question

Post by Tubal Cain »

If by clutch shaft you are referring to the cross shaft which passes through the bell housing the answer is no. The clutch actuating fork is pinned to the crosshaft and also the return spring is mounted on the shaft.

Gerald

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

No not that one Gerald. i mean the driven shaft ,from the clutch to the gearbox, Jim.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Jim,

To be honest I am not sure if you can remove the shaft without removing the bell housing. I always remove the gearbox complete with the bell housing and strip everything down on the bench.

However for the amount of work involved I would remove the bell housing, which would enable you to check the condition of the clutch and the front gearbox oil seal, also the spigot bearing in the flywheel. You can then reassemble the gearbox complete with the bell housing and refit it to the tractor as one unit.

Gerald

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by llanfair »

Hi Jim
The input shaft cannot be removed without removing the bell housing, there is an input shaft retainer in the housing.
Hope this helps, good chance to check the clutch anyway.
Regards John.