Cold Starting a Dexta - A novel solution!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Jerry Coles
True Blue

Cold Starting a Dexta - A novel solution!

Post by Jerry Coles »

Saw this Dexta at Hullavington a couple of years ago and the owner explained how it worked.
Lite up a gas blowlamp, open the tap that is plumbed into the inlet manifold, point the flame into the cup and start it!!

That is what I call lateral thinking!
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

It's innovative alright but I'm not entirely convinced about safety.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

Rather primitive and certainly not necessary if everything's working as it should.

Barry

tony
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tony »

I can't wait for the developmental testing to be completed and I look forward to reading the final report.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

Has anyone got a copy of the official Fordson recommendation as to the cold starting proceedure for the Dexta??

Regards,

Barry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hold heater for 40 secs. Push prime button and press starter.

In cold weather open throttle quarter open. Press in cold start button on pump. Repeat above. (Minimec Pump models).

The time for the heater was moulded into the original heater covers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

WayneB
True Blue

Cold Start torch

Post by WayneB »

Few years back on this forum I reported that before I rebuilt my Dexta, prematurely worn out from "the ether-baby" process, the only way I could start it was to remove glow plug, put a propane torch in the intake and when warmed, crank till it started.

When I pulled the pistons, ring-bits fell off like shell corn. Problem was while I had the rebuild kit on hand, did not have time to stop and get er to the machine shop. After finishing clearing my pasture, I tore it down and upgraded to 152 pistons. It was worn to point of weak. Bottom end was fine. However, one or two times, worn out like this I felt it rev up, as oil rings fell off like shelled corn, too.

Wayne

leswhiskey
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by leswhiskey »

Hi everyone I have just joined this forum it looks great. This novel idea was mine. It worked really well when I was in my garage/shed I would use a hot air paint stripper in the bell mouth and on the rare occasion that I was not near an electric supply in the morning the only time that I needed it I would use a blowlamp. It was perfectly safe and so easy to use as you are standing on the same side as the start lever.

Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cold start

Post by Mike »

Hello. Mike here from Australia.

We use a can of areo start; You spray a little bit into the airfilter inlet as you are cranking the engine and it starts straight away.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mike,
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dextas will be banging your door down at 3 am tomorrow!!!! :evil:

EasyStart (ether) is the worst thing you can ever use in a Dexta. It causes ring, piston and con-rod failure. There should be some pretty horrific pictures on here showing some of the problems caused.

All Dextas will start OK if the primer and manifold heater is working and later ones with the Minimec pump even had an excess fuel button.

Ether is the biggest NO-NO i can think of.

Welcome to the board by the way. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Here is my "novel solution" for cold start of my tractor. This is ordinary 10 sec glowplugs from a modern car.
This, together with two batteries it may start when ever I want
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Now that's innovative, roadless. What kind of vehicle did your glow plugs come from?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

I think it was from a 2,1 turbodiesel Renault. the glowplugs in that engine lasted longer than the engine itsalf :lol: :lol:
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Looking at the wiring do I see some melting insulation as the wire is going across the exhaust manifold?
Probably best to clip it away from the heat.
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

What a fantastic solution. I think you could make a business making and selling them.
Rob

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Why do you need it?

If the original system is working you get fire in the intake manifold drawn into the combustion chambers, perhaps more effective than glow plugs. The weakness in the original system is the priming pump and, as Stefan has shown, this can be overcome with modern materials, the heater element is available.

Just my opinion.
Brian

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Brian
I did this three years ago before I discovered this website and found places were new fueltabs can be bought. However it turned out very effective, it starts immidiatly down to 20 below
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi