OK, I'm an IDIOT! School me!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: OK, I'm an IDIOT! School me!

Post by Bensdexta »

Very tidy, will look great when it's all painted. :D

Did you have to pack the adjuster on the front of the timing case, so as to get the pulley in line with the crank pulley?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Simon1217
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Simon1217 »

I've wired mine as above but on starting the light on the dash doesn't go out and no charge goin to the battery . Any ideas why . Thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Simon1217 wrote:I've wired mine as above but on starting the light on the dash doesn't go out and no charge goin to the battery . Any ideas why . Thanks
Do you have battery voltage 12V+ on the sense wire? It won't charge without that.

Simon1217
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Simon1217 »

The alternator I got says it sences through a single main battery feed but there is another big spade connector . What volt should come down the yellow wire as I'm not sure if bulb is to much it says 4 amp on it thought they should be about 2 would a strong bulb take to much. . I'm not that good on electrics so bear with me if I'm sounding stupid .

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you a single-wire set up? See here for explanation:
http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html

As you can see, one of the draw backs of a single-wire system is that the ALT warning light won't work. Also you need to speed up the engine to trip the charging circuit into life.

I think you need to get some instructions from your alternator supplier on how it is meant to be set up. May be it can be configured depending upon how some internal links are set?
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Some info.

An alternator can electrically operate in either direction however, there are three types of cooling fan.

1) Angled blades - Two versions designed to operate either counter clockwise or clockwise.
2) Straight blades - Designed to allow cooling in both counter clockwise or clockwise.

It must operate by blowing air through the alternator, a suction approach will result in hot spots and early failure as it does not get air to all the windings, rectifiers and regulator.

So sadly, you have one that is designed to operate in the opposite direction.

Have a close look as some manufacturers use a reversible fan which can be removed and turned through 180 degrees......sadly not all though!
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!