My Dexta pics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

My Dexta pics

Post by Nick »

Here are a few pictures of my little dexta, they arent in order, but they show the progress slowly being made (mainly because ive got many projects on at once).
Im getting closer to the stage where there arent any leaks and everything works, hence why i bought a compressor to start the painting! What do you guys think? Its taken a while for me to get all these pictures onto my laptop!!!
By the way, the man in the picture isnt me, its my mate mark who helped me dig her out when i found her in the hedge!

As you can see, i put two new front tyres on it, repaired the steering, repaired the engine, took the loader off.....however alot to do still, but it will get there! :D :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Re: My Dexta pics

Post by Nick »

bugger, looks like some of the pictures havent come out, whys that?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hope you are not putting your tractor together like you did those pictures! :cry: You put img codes amongst other codes so they were all mixed up! :cry:

Hope I have sorted them correctly. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Thanks brian, not good with things like that!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for the photos and you have taken on a real project. I admire your drive and hope the best for you and your tractor. Dexta's are definitely worth the effort. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Chris
Chris

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

That's an amazing photo story! Took me a while to even spot a tractor in the jungle. There should be a (blue) medal for such work!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I knew the tractor was in the hedge a little while before I bought it, apparently the only reason it was layed up, was because both front tyres were knackered and the loader frame had snapped and so was loose, making it unuseful, so he went and bought a david brown 990 for £100! It had been there in that hedge for about 15years, we had to cut it out with a chainsaw!
It has quite low hours - 4290, and this shows in places, for example the steering is very good, theres no play in the front or the box, and it came up suprisingly well with the pressure washer!
Im now at the stage where ive got it running, but alas the clutch stuck on, so im going to have to do that (first clutch attempt ever). The hydraulics work but only once, and you have to lift the lever right to the top, so something isnt right there somewhere.

I havent really done much to it since january time, as Im nearing painting one of my majors, so im focusing on that.
Once i get back on it though, it shouldnt take too long to finish..............i hope :D :D

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Just an update on this, I have now finished all my projects apart from this one, including re-commissioning a ford sierra cosworth, which you may see in some pictures ive taken recently.

I have been playing around with the dexta, trying to un-stick the clutch - it hasnt worked. Plus, as you can see in the top picture, the engine is slobbering oil out the exhaust, and oil pressure is not the best, so I have decided to completely overhaul the engine.

I have taken everthing off it and im ready to take the front axle off, then the engine. Is it best to take the engine and axle off as one, or axle first then engine?

I have taken a load of pictures, so will post updates as I make progress, this will hopefully be completely finished by the spring! :D

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

http://s965.photobucket.com/user/timewe ... 1.jpg.html

The last photo shows the tinwork hidden away ready to go on when I get chance, its all original and i've already prepped it!

I have some more photos on my phone which show this weekends progress, I will upload them when I get chance!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I have now separated the engine from the gearbox, got the clutch off and flywheel off. The stuck clutch is due to it being rusted on, the clutch plates aren't worn at all, is it fairly simple to take the clutch apart, clean it and re-assemble it?

I have taken more pictures, but my phone is playing up, so I cant email them at the moment! :evil:

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Clutch done, all ready to go back in. Ive taken the engine apart to take the short engine to a local engineering workshop to be re-built. Ive got the oil pump on the bench, is it worth servicing it and putting it back in? Or buying a new one -knowing the quality of some of the new bits about im not sure about this!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:Ive got the oil pump on the bench, is it worth servicing it and putting it back in? Or buying a new one -knowing the quality of some of the new bits about im not sure about this!
My shop inspected my original oil pump, said it's fine so it went back on. Oil pressure is good 50psi + always.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Thats good news, I will check it out, hopefully be able to re-use it.

Other thing is, I noticed when I took the injector pump off that the governor housing where the diaphragm is was kinda loose, is it supposed to be?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Upon autopsy of the engine, the crank is scorred a bit on one journal and is a bit out of round, so is getting re-ground. The other thing i noticed is where the oil pump bolts on, the two outer boltholes have cracked, is this through vibration? Can it be welded?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Another update, hopefully with pictures tomorrow. I got my engine back from the machine shop, it has had the following : 3 new liners, three new pistons and rings, crank re-grind, new bearings and thrust washers, and one new conrod, apparently one was out of round. A new oil pump turned up today, and hopefully on monday a load of stuff so I can assemble the engine!

I do have one query though, i started putting the main bearings in place, and noticed one didnt have the hole drilled in it to meet up with the oil ways, am I right in thinking this is ok for the main bearing cap, no oil comes through the cap, just the block???