Top link, bonnet prop, hydraulic fitting questions

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
60dexta
True Blue

Top link, bonnet prop, hydraulic fitting questions

Post by 60dexta »

Hi All,

I got hold of a smaller top link today that actually fits in the top link clevis. The previous one had an end too big and would hit the back of the clevis before you could get the pin through. I am wondering if it is short enough. With both ends wound in it measures about 21 inches between centres. If I straightened out one of the threaded ends I could get it down to 20 inches. Is that short enough? The back end looks to sit about 2 inches further forward than the lower links when they are parrallel.

How does the bonnet prop stay up inside the bonnet? I have a little tag inside the bonnet but not enough clues to figure it out. Has someone got a picture they could post?

I need to straighten and sort out the bracket under the seat and the hydraulic pipe. They are very bent out of shape. I am wondering what is the most useful quick release coupling to use. It currently has a screw on coupling with about an 1.25" thread. I don't have anything that requires external hydraulics but I am thinking I might as well fit the most common coupling. Also wondering what peoples views are on maybe using other peoples tipping trailers with regards mixing their oil and dirt and your nice clean oil?

Rob

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Top link, bonnet prop, hydraulic fitting questions

Post by Bensdexta »

60dexta wrote:How does the bonnet prop stay up inside the bonnet? I have a little tag inside the bonnet but not enough clues to figure it out. Has someone got a picture they could post?
There should be a spring clip on the underside of the bonnet that the rod pushes into. But they tend to get weak/rusty and drop off - prob what's happened to yours. :(
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

some bonnet prop photos

link to album
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g367/thetomlad/
random photos :oops:

ur tipper pipe fitting sounds like a dowty coupling , modern equivalent is the quick release.
ur right about other peoples dirty oil but i dont see an answer , there r 2 filters in the system tho .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

I made a bonnet prop from a little bit of tin, it works perfectly :clap:

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Brian Cox wrote:I made a bonnet prop from a little bit of tin, it works perfectly :clap:
I have made a new bonnet prop that is 4.5" longer than the short one I had. That works fine as a prop but whatever clip should hold it inside the bonnet has long since fallen off. I was hoping someone could take a picture of what should be there.

Rob

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

On our 62 Super D there is a two prong clip that is riveted on the inside of the bonnet just before the front most handle and on the line of the tin where the curved section meet the flat section.

Here is a rather poor photo of the clip and its location. If you find a suitable replacement let me know as ours is missing a 'prong' and always drops the rod.

-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------